My lucky day! You guys will be so jealous!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cynics, Mar 29, 2012.

1. cynics macrumors G4

[​IMG]

Fail!

I wonder how my info (phone number and the fact I have an iPhone) was leaked?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your information wasn't leaked. They just guessed a phone number and hoped that it was a mobile number. They have no idea that you have an iPhone. One way that someone can used to better guess that you have an iPhone is to try to iMessage the number. If it goes as an iMessage, then they have an iPhone. Else, they may not.

3. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

The "send" button is green. Wouldn't that mean you we sent a regular text and not an iMessage? Sounds like a hoax to me. Forgive me if that is too obvious. I am kinda naive at this stuff.

4. bigrash macrumors regular

I get emails all the time for pills to enlarge my penis. Soon mine will be 10". Who's the jealous one now? :D

5. RedburnIV macrumors regular

RedburnIV

6. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I got one that says i was picked for a free Apple product.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

Corrected. Kidding.

8. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

I have been getting more and more SMS spam recently. It's very annoying. I SMS/iMessage with only a handful of people so when I hear a text coming in I get excited thinking its about plans for later or something. Nope, it's spam for a gossip site or celebrity nudes.

9. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

As you have to swallow the pills, wouldn't that also make your throat and neck longer?

10. Ayemerica macrumors demi-god

Ayemerica

Wirelessly posted

I know people who get the messages all the time, is the future age of telemarketing.

11. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Wonder how long it will be (if not already) that carriers start selling our numbers to subsidize their costs and continue charging us the same? :(

12. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

LOL!!!!

OMG that is funny! How does it know where to target??

13. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Obviously none of you know the proper insertion technique!:eek:

14. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Bahahaha

15. Val-kyrie, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2012

Val-kyrie macrumors 65816

Eliminate Spam

To the OP

There are at least two options that I know:

1. Eliminate spam emails sent to yournumber@vtext.com by choosing a nickname for your vtext account. You can then give your nickname to those persons whom you want to allow to send you e-mails while avoiding spammers. According to a blog I found:

There is a feature with Verizon that allows you to receive any emails sent to yournumber@vtext.com. I guess spammers now know this as well because it seems like they blast all the numbers at vtext.com. The solution verizon has is to allow you to choose a nickname for your account. If you will never receive an email on your phone you can pick a ridiculous nick name and hopefully nobody will ever find it. I chose something alone the lines of IHateSpam0983!2809389@vtext.com.

This feature is somewhat buried in their site and took me a little while to find.

--Browse to http://text.vzw.com and login.
    [Edit: This may also be found after you log in, by selecting "My Verizon" - "My Messaging" - "Send a Text"]
    --Click on preferences in the left nav.
    --Click Nickname on the now expanded preferences section of the left nav.
    --Click the ‘Edit Nickname’ on the lower right hand corner
    --Enter your nickname and click save.

Since doing this I have received 0 spam messages. Hopefully this works for anyone else out there who hates spam as much as I do.

2. The thermonuclear option: block all text messages sent to your phone from the web and/or from e-mail.
    According to Pogue's blog, this may be done in the following way:

* AT&T: Log in at mymessages.wireless.att.com. Under Preferences, you’ll see the text-blocking and alias options. Here’s also where you can block messages from specific e-mail addresses or Web sites.

* Verizon Wireless: Log in at vtext.com. Under Text Messaging, click Preferences. Click Text Blocking. You’re offered choices to block text messages from e-mail or from the Web. Here again, you can block specific addresses or Web sites. (Here’s where you set up your aliases, too.)

This information has helped me eliminate all spam from being sent to my phone. I hope it helps you, too.

16. Wrathwitch macrumors 65816

Well I must say I have never been faced with a situation that required me to know it!! LOL!!

My imagination is doing much worse than the reality I am sure!! :eek:

17. ChazUK macrumors 603

ChazUK

Please don't tell me over 3000 people have fallen for this (going by the Facebook likes on the page). :(

For fun, I put a 4 letter expletive starting with C in the code field and got accepted into the beta. Oh happy day! :D

Attached Files: