My mac book hard drive crashed and all my files are still on the apple tv

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by btxbaxter, Feb 2, 2010.

1. btxbaxter macrumors newbie

How do I get the files off of my apple tv so that i can get them on to another device? Please, treat me like i was a monkey and not use computer jargon, i am completely clueless.

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

There is no easy way...and there may not even be a way. I know that ATV sends files that you purchsed on the system back to the main computer, but I don't believe there is an ability to do that with all the content on the drive without some programming.

I assume you didn't have a backup? :(

3. btxbaxter thread starter macrumors newbie

no, no backup at all.

i was told about a patch that would give me the ability to "open" the hard drive to extract files but again, i'm an idiot when it comes to these things so i'm not sure what i'm reading, therefore don't want to screw anything up on the apple tv.

4. belvdr macrumors 603

Check out ATVFlash. That would open it up so you could copy everything back. Now is the time to rethink that backup strategy. Good luck!

5. btxbaxter thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks, i'm just a little curious what happens after i download this, will it be pretty easy to copy the files?

and i have been trying to do some research on this and it looks like there are options where you don't have to pay for it.

6. osohardy macrumors member

There are two ways:

1. software hack with USB patchstick to add SSH, which will allow you to login into the ATV with Cyberduck app or similar with password "frontrow."

2. Open the puppy up, pull the hard drive, attach it to a "universal drive adaptor" that connects to the hard drive on one end, and USB into your comp on the other.

As an example if you chose (2) when you plug in the ATV drive into your comp you will see OSboot and Media partitions mount. Go into Media and your files will live in /mnt/Media.

Unfortunately if your video files are not tagged with metadata it will be a real pain because the files on the ATV have random looking names and will be sorted into dozens of nondescript folders.

Neither option is really that hard, but you would need to do some googling to get all the steps software wise or be comfortable opening the ATV.