My Mac G4 tower won't start

michael94043

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I have a Mac G4 dual 1.25 tower
Doesn't start when I push the start button on the monitor or the front of the box.
If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in once or twice it starts
I've replaced the battery and makes no difference

What do you think
Michael

Fishrrman

macrumors P6
Feb 20, 2009
Have you tried resetting the CUDA button (I _think_ it's called that) on the motherboard?

Drop down the case cover, you should see it towards the front of the motherboard, near the hard drive connectors. It's a small circular button in a square housing.

Press it ONE time, and hold it down for about 30 seconds. Then try a restart.

This worked for me once when the machine seemed "dead" (i.e., no response when power button pressed).

Just to be sure, is the second motherboard battery you put in "known good"? (i.e., tested for voltage)

If nothing else is working, you might try to "break-remake" EVERY connection inside the box: PCI cards, RAM, drive cables, etc. Even re-seat the battery again.

- John

Bensheim

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2007
England
Replace the power cable?

Test something else (like a desk lamp) in the wall socket you are using?

I'd try those first.

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
I have a Mac G4 dual 1.25 tower
Doesn't start when I push the start button on the monitor or the front of the box.
If I unplug it from the wall and plug it back in once or twice, it starts. What do you think?
Suspect the wall plug. There could be corrosion on the wire terminals or the plug could be worn out. A new wall plug is quite inexpensive.

michael94043

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
Went to the Mac Store

Well I took it to the Mac store and the fix it folks think it's in the power supply

Thanks Lots for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.