Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Okay, this is the problem...
I start up my Powerbook, and then it starts up and it goes to that grey screen. Okay..then when it goes to the Welcome to Mac OS X dialogue, it just disappears and the swirly rainbow thing appears..and it just does that...I've left it for like 5 minutes and it still didnt load into OS X...What should I do?

Mac til death

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2002
Memphis
it sounds like you've been playing with themes...

If that's the case (and you don't have aqua fix installed) you'll have to archive and install again...

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
I haven't :(
It might be that security update that just got released..I downloaded it and it got installed and it didnt have a proper restart. may that be a problem?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Have you tried shutting down and restarting again? I know it sounds dumb but that has worked for me

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
Originally posted by Macpoops
Have you tried shutting down and restarting again? I know it sounds dumb but that has worked for me

The funny thing is that my sister always has problems with her Compaq with XP...every other day she complains to me that her computer doesn't work. What do I say to her each time? "Have you restarted your computer?" "No" So I tell her to restart and every time it works again.

MacOnly

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2003
Santa Barbara, CA
Originally posted by iEric
Okay, this is the problem...
I start up my Powerbook, and then it starts up and it goes to that grey screen. Okay..then when it goes to the Welcome to Mac OS X dialogue, it just disappears and the swirly rainbow thing appears..and it just does that...I've left it for like 5 minutes and it still didnt load into OS X...What should I do?
It sounds like you have gotten yourself into permission issues. Either permission attributes on OS X's system component folders have been altered or not set to default.
Fix: (1) Start up OS X from the Jaguar CD Disk 1.
(2) In the introduction screen, go to File menu, select Disk Utility.
(3) Select First Aid tap in Disk Utility, highlight the disk or partition you want to fix, and select Repair Disk Permissions.
(4) When finished restart the computer.
Hope the above will help you.

morlium

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2002
also:
1. hold down apple-s at start-up and typr "fsck -y" at the prompt.
2. repeat until "Disk Appears to be OK" message appears.
3. type "reboot"

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Thank you so much. I am at work now (On the PC - yuck), but I will go home and try that. Thanks once again.

MacBoyX

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2003
East Coast, USA
Originally posted by iEric
Thank you so much. I am at work now (On the PC - yuck), but I will go home and try that. Thanks once again.

OOOH...I don't want to be negative...but this has happened to BOTH my iBooks and my iMac.

I have no clue what happened, but my it has something to do with my video exetensions or something. I tried FSCK -y and after 25 passes gave up. Did a repair permissions and nothing.

I did a archive and install on the first one (boy what a mess that was but at least I got my data off).

On the later two I already owned two macs so I did the old "firewire hard drive mode" boot and got my data off and rebuilt from scratch.

I hope it doesn't come to that for you but I never got them to come back from this and I have no clue how it happened.

Good luck and Godspeed...

MacBoyX

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
How long do you have to hold the Apple-S...cause I held it for like 1 minute and a prompt did not pop up.

iEric

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2003
Originally posted by MacOnly
It sounds like you have gotten yourself into permission issues. Either permission attributes on OS X's system component folders have been altered or not set to default.
Fix: (1) Start up OS X from the Jaguar CD Disk 1.
(2) In the introduction screen, go to File menu, select Disk Utility.
(3) Select First Aid tap in Disk Utility, highlight the disk or partition you want to fix, and select Repair Disk Permissions.
(4) When finished restart the computer.
Hope the above will help you.

Okay I tried both FSCK -y and this way and they both did not repair my disk. HOWEVER, i did erase the disk and reinstall OS X which was fine as well. I just wanted to thank MacOnly, morlium and all of those who wanted to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.