My MacBook appears to have died - and yet is showing signs of life.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by NeptuneMan, Jul 8, 2008.

1. NeptuneMan macrumors newbie

Off the top of my head, since it won't boot:

15" MacBook Pro
    2.16 GHz C2D
    1GB RAM
    120GB HDD originally (160GB after the replacement)
    256MB GFX

Okay, let's get the full back story on the computer. I bought it in March 2007, I had a strange light column on my display so I took it into Apple in October to get it fixed along with an issue I was having with AirPort Express, so the computer comes back and they replaced just about everything logic board, display, keyboard / top case of the laptop.. the only thing I don't think they replaced was the hard drive and the bottom part of the case.

March 2008 rolls by and my AppleCare expires. April comes and my computer begins doing this thing where 6-8 hours of use it just "freezes" the mouse still moves and you can still click for a few moments but then it just goes stops doing everything except mouse movement, try to reboot and it makes the chime and just shows the white screen and refuses to work the rest of the day, the next day it always does the same thing. Then the time became shorter, 4 hours, 2 hours, 30 minutes. I was at school at the time and didn't care to mess with it so I just stored it away.

A month later I come back, turn it back on boots up perfectly within 30 seconds and works fine for an hour then repeats the previous crash like symptoms. I ask my computer friends and they suggest it's a dying hard drive - so I send that in to get replaced and pay out of my pocket. Boots multiple times and works perfectly for a few hours, then reverts back. Then my friend points out that while it won't actually boot to CD if you hold "C" on boot up, if there isn't a CD there it detects that and shows the correct error... meaning the CD app just isn't loading on the RAM. Fine... I paid for a new RAM stick. Boots up, immediately crashes.

Boot command results:
    Flash P-RAM: works and sometimes allows boot.
    cmd-S: never works
    cmd-V: never works
    C: worked right after I replaced the harddrive, hasn't worked since.
    T: starts in target disk mode, don't have a second computer to see if drive is browsable.

Any ideas? Is it the Logic Board? Will Apple cover it since they recently replaced it or no? How much will it cost to get a new one?

2. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

How about if you just boot while holding the option key (boot into the boot manager)? What do you see then?

3. NeptuneMan thread starter macrumors newbie

I booted pressing the option key.

It stayed a white screen except my cursor popped up --- I can move my cursor around but nothing else shows up.... ideas?

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Sorry about your problems but that's why it's wise to purchase the extended Apple Care. Take it back in to Apple and see what they say. I don't know how long they warrant a replacement part. And, it's hard to tell what's wrong now. Make sure you have your old repair receipts with you. Be polite and ask to speak to a service manager. Let him\her know how unhappy you are with your machine and that you expected better from Apple. They might do the repair for free or even replace the machine with a refurbished unit.

Regards.

5. NeptuneMan thread starter macrumors newbie

When I went to Apple they said it would be $120 just to tell me what's wrong with it. I've heard I can get Logic Board replacements for $300.... so I doubt I'll be going to Nickel and dime you to death Apple after you pay $2200 for the machine.

6. NeptuneMan thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, well my next idea is to double check all the connections on the hard drive and just remove RAM / swap slots etc until I can get to the point where I can reinstall OSX. I think maybe damaged RAM might have corrupted the OS --- or perhaps my leopard CD is damaged?