Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RGSMDNR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Canada
but my iPod touch can. I'm at a campground with free wifi but my MacBook can't see. But i'm able to get on with my iPod touch. Whatgives?

RGSMDNR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Canada
yes it was on. I could see other secured wireless networks, just not the unsecured one Im trying to connect to. Does the Ipod touch have that much of a better antenna?

logana

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2006
Scotland
yes it was on. I could see other secured wireless networks, just not the unsecured one Im trying to connect to. Does the Ipod touch have that much of a better antenna?

No - probably the other way round - the MacBook wifi reception is normally excellent (plastic case helps)..

Seems odd - can the MacBook see the network now ?

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
If you go to System Preferences - Network.

Go to "Network name" - go to Join other network in the drop menu.

Type in the details of this network.

Thats what Mac Help said to do.

Good luck (you'll need it if this network is not secure)

RGSMDNR

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
Canada
If you go to System Preferences - Network.

Go to "Network name" - go to Join other network in the drop menu.

Type in the details of this network.

Thats what Mac Help said to do.

Good luck (you'll need it if this network is not secure)

tried that too.. it was a no go.

ohwell. thanks everyone!

Heijtink

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
Same here

I have a setup where my iMac is connected via a LAN to the internet and is sharing the internet connection with devices that connect to my computer with a wifi connection. I have a macbook that normally connects fine with my iMac. But since recently (today 12 Sept) it has stopped working. My Macbook only sometimes sees my iMac but when I try to connect to it, I get a connection time out. Even when the macbook is sitting on the same desk just besides each other they can't connect. My iMac has had more success connecting to the macbook but that too doesn't really work. I can't really browse through the macbook it just shows up as an afp connection. Anybody has any suggestions or the same problem. The only thing I could think of is the front row, quicktime, iTunes up date that my desktop has done but not my laptop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.