My Macbook died then came back to life. Do I take it to service?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ramius, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Ramius macrumors 6502

My Macbook from october 2008 just died completely.

It would not turn on, no matter how many times I pressed the on button.

I took the battery in and out, charged it fully, but still nothing. Despite me using the machine yesterday and nothing special happening over night.

Then I realised the machine was dead. So I took the hard drive out, put it in the bag, and was ready to deliver it for repairs tomorrow.

Then suddenly, two hours later, I hear the discdrive startup sound from my bag. Keep in mind I hadn´t touched it for hours! The machine turned on.

Without the hard disc, the machine powered on, on its own, several hours after I had pressed the powerbutton.

This is ****ing crazy if you ask me. But is there a logical explenation? Should I still take it to service?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you should. Your HDD may be dying.

3. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

I dont think thats the case. The machine can still power on without the hard drive, obviously - I just learned this.

The power switch was not responding. But I´m going to back up my files tomorrow, just in case.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

5. Ramius thread starter macrumors 6502

But what is the reason for the two hour delay in powering up?

How is that even possible? Is there a dwarf inside that is like "hold on, give me two hours, my stomach is liquid today, go be social instead".