My macbook doesn't mount one the partitions of my external harddrive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sean.zhng, Mar 26, 2011.

1. sean.zhng macrumors newbie

Hi, my macbook 467 has got a problem of mounting one of the partitions of my external hard drive. What happened is the external hard drive disconnected unexpectedly a while ago, and after I replugged it in, the macbook didn't recognise one of the partitions, which contains my 30GB iphoto library! Please help! I cannot lose the entire library.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. sean.zhng thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for replying, it's macbook 467 late in 2008, and it runs mac os x snow leopard 10.6.7.

Yes, I can see both partitions, but one of them is grey and unmounted at the moment. It is a 320GB Transcend external hard drive via usb 2.0.

4. simsaladimbamba

I don't know what a "macbook 467 late in 2008" is, but I assume it is either a Unibody Aluminium MacBook with 2.0 or 2.4 GHz or a normal, white, non-Unibody MacBook.
    Anyway, if you select the greyed partition in Disk Utility you might be able to click on the MOUNT icon in the toolbar. If not, repair the disk via Disk Utility.

5. sean.zhng thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry for the confusion. Yes, it is a Unibody Aluminium Macbook with 2.4 GHz. I tried to click on the MOUNT icon, and it says "The disk “Movie2” could not be mounted.

Try running First Aid on the disk and then retry mounting."

And I also repaired the disk and it says that the volume appears to be OK, so i have no idea what is actually going on. I assume it is not a physical problem since the other partition still works.