My Macbook is HOT - (the age old question) how hot is too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -Josh-, Nov 13, 2007.

1. -Josh- macrumors regular

Well, there are times my SR MB gets sooo hot my hands start to sweat.
    How hot is too hot?
    I have Istate pro as a wedjet, but how do I read it? does CPU A account for my PC's general heat? In Fahrenheit, how hot is too hot, and where do I go to find out that temperature. (CPU A?)

THANK YOU!!!

Josh

2. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Ok this is easy. Turn on the macbook and turn it upside down resting the keyboard on a soft surface (table top with towel on top) with the screen open and hanging off the edge.

Now crack and egg onto the underside of the laptop and see if it starts to cook. If it does then it is too hot. Otherwise you are fine!

DISCLAIMER: I will not be held accountable for any damage caused by this nor will i help clean said laptop.

Anyway 80C is too hot. My Macbook CPU regularly hits about 70C but usually at peak is about 63-65C.

You can convert yourself :D

3. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Thats only like 102 F, huh?
    Man, mine right now (IF I use CPU A to judge, with iState pro) is 126 F.
    IS my macbook screwed!?!

4. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

5. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

That is actually 158 F going from 65 C

Mine is currently at 110 F, but that is pretty much idle if i give it any load it rises above 126 very fast.

6. cvahl macrumors member

If you are scared, why don't you just use fan control to speed up the fan? Since I put mine up to 2700 rpm, it stays constantly below 50ºC, and right now since I just do internet surfing, it's even colder than I am... (37ºC) :cool:

7. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Well if my Macbook is fine then I don't care. I just want to make sure it's okay. thanks guys for your help - is my Macbook normal?

8. cvahl macrumors member

I think this study from google is quite interesting:
    http://209.85.163.132/papers/disk_failures.pdf
    I would not care to much for the CPU, but I think for the harddisk it might be better to keep the temperature under 50-55ºC, that's why I raised the fan speed. I only hear the difference when it is completely quiet, my external harddisk f.e. is much louder...

9. -Josh- thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks,
    if I see my HD rising over 50 C with (istate pro, correct?) I'll get worried.

10. macdim macrumors 6502

My MacBook SR is currently running at CPU A: 42 Celsius. Hard Drive is around 28 Celsius. This is doing nothing but surfing the net, writing on MacRumors. I've seen go up to 55 Celcius a couple of times, but no higher.

<Off topic>Just picked this thing up yesterday BTW. Perfect screen, perfect keyboard, only a slight misalignment in the top/bottom case when closed, but I don't care when it's closed do I?</Off topic>

I think it actually runs fairly cool compared to other notebooks, namely cheap Toshibas and Dells. Not too sure what too hot is though. I think it will let you know when it's too hot... it will shut itself down!

11. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Hot or Too hot, the illustrated version:

hot
    [​IMG]

too hot

[​IMG]

12. siren77 macrumors member

which would be better to use? smcFanControl or Fan Control? I know one is an application and one appears a preference pane. Are there any disadvantages to either one?

13. KillerWalrus macrumors newbie

wow. my aluminum macbook gets really hot.

My normal temp is 125 F (52 C)
    And thats just listening to music and browsing.

When it really heats up, it gets to like 170-180 F (82 C)

One of these days, its gonna fry the processor.