My Macbook pro 15" died only 1 1/2 years old,anyway to convince apple to repair free?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Chuck-Norris, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

SO iil try and make a long story short.

I have a 15" 2011 anti glare macbook pro. love the computer, have everything from a case to keybaord cover on it since day one.

it had been repaired twice cause the LCD display had burned in sides, and the second, the repair job wasnt so great and they replaced the display a final time.

today, my macbook decided not to boot after the white screen. took it to the apple stor and load and behold, the logic board is dead, and costs 500 to fix.

i know i will get flamed for not getting applecare, but i thought i could baby this enough that i wouldnt need it. well, accidents i can prevent, but anything on the inside that happens im SOL.

im sure alot of you guys are students and know tuition, rent etc takes it toll.

has anyone have tried or think apple can do a repair for free? the apple store clearly wont as i tried talking to them but would calling customer relations at apple work?

i know i will try and call but wondering if anyone had any luck in a similar scenario like mine.

it really sucks as this is only a year and a half years old and the thing dies. paid nearly 1900 for this :(

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

When was the last time you got it serviced? (How many months left in the warranty when it was serviced?)

And yes, you should have gotten AppleCare. It is a huge investment, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

3. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes i do regret not getting applecare now lol. the last time it was serviced was during the last month of warranty which would be last summer in July.

when the repair was done, i asked the guy who repaired it if i should get apple care. he said my mac was very well taken care of and literally looked new and suggested i dont really need it.

but i guess he didnt account for an unexpected logic board break down :S

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Indeed. Also, it is far too much time already. If this would have happened a few days after warranty (even a couple of weeks), maybe Apple would have helped. But this is over 6 months now. You will have to foot the bill with this. However, not all is lost.

There is an option. PM me. I'll give it to you, there is a reason for this I'll explain.

5. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

think they can atleast giv me a decent discount on a new one? at this point, even if i repair it, if somethig happenes again, im SOL .

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Check your PM box.

7. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Which country? If you are anywhere in europe, there is a mandatory 2 years warranty I believe.

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Tell your sister or girlfriend or any female you know to take it to apple and flirt with the apple genius and your mac will be fixed

9. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

CAnada

10. Brian Y macrumors 68040

You'll have more luck if you ask them, because of the problems, whether they will be willing to let you buy AppleCare even though your warranty has expired. At least that way you're saying - look, I screwed up by not buying AppleCare, but can we at least meet in the middle given the problems I've had.

11. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

well that might be the second thing i might ask if they would let me buy apple care, but basically if htey can cover the repair lol

12. tivoboy macrumors 68040

credit card

check with your credit card company, if you bought with an AMEX or VISA signature card (most banks issues these) they you'll have one extra year of warranty.

13. Rodster macrumors 68040

Most people forget about this little nugget. ;)

14. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

kinda paidwith cash :s

15. kensic macrumors 6502

and who services this extra year of warranty? do you just call Amex or Visa representative and explain your situation?

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

Call the credit card company, ask if you are covered. Being a highly sought after benefit, many cards include coverage for these types of purchases.

17. Rodster macrumors 68040

Usually if it's AMEX, you call them and explain you need to have the device serviced. They then request you call the MFG to arrange for service. You get a quote for the repair, you inform AMEX, once they approve it, they will pay the bill directly for you.

18. trikky macrumors regular

Sucky I know. Unfortunately though, you made a conscious decision to not extend the warranty, you knew it was a 12 month warranty and you agreed with that at the time of purchase. In other words, you were quite happy with it having just 12 months coverage.

I don't think you're in a position to demand or expect anything from Apple.

Applecare would have cost you about $200. Since you made a decision to "self-insure", just pay the $500 to replace the logic board and move on.

For the record, I'm not usually one to buy the extended warranty on things, but for things like my previous iMacs and my current MBP, you bet I did. Not because I felt something could go wrong, but because I figured if something did go wrong, it would be pricey.

Good luck.

19. Chuck-Norris thread starter macrumors 6502a

its trikky its trikky! its trick or rock rock u rock u rock u

20. idunn macrumors 6502

How about craftsmanship?

Technically that is what Apple Care is for, just in case. Continuing forward perhaps it makes all the more sense, if necessity, to have it. If at one time I figured a Macintosh perfectly fine after one year should continue on that way for a good long time. Those days may be over.

Best of luck in resolving this.

Should I state the obvious, that beyond any warranty issues an expensive computer like this should not massively fail after only one and a half years? Never.

If only in being totally ashamed (not to mention inconveniencing a customer), Apple should fix this gratis.

21. AFDoc macrumors 68030

That's what I was thinking lol..... no way a logic board should burn up in 1.5years.

22. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

If only you were in the UK. I can't speak for US consumer law, but in the UK, I would have complete confidence in getting this repaired or replaced free of charge. The manufacturer's warranty does not face t your statutory rights. The MacBook clearly wasn't 'fit for purpose' at the point of sale, and you have 5 years following purchase to make a claim against Apple for such problems in the UK.

23. sostoobad macrumors regular

If I were you, I would go to your apple store and explain the situation. They have already gotten their fingers into it, and now a whopping 18 months or so later
    it needs a major repair ?? unacceptable, could they have done something wrong during the " fix" ? etc $300 Pcs last a whole lot longer than that.

24. artschool macrumors member

i heard that apple live in constant fear that chuck norris's mac will crash......

.... and its actually happened:p

25. kensic macrumors 6502

dang it!, i should have bought my 2012 mbp 15 on my amex card at bestbuy.

LOL on me! :(