My Macbook pro 17" anti glare turned to glossy story...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by soldier007, Apr 26, 2009.

1. soldier007 macrumors newbie

I placed an online/phone order for the Macbook pro 17" anti glare via apple-store a couple of days ago. I did not know that anti-glare meant that the screen is completely different, i.e. they remove the glass (on the glossy version) and then put an aluminum bezel around the display to hold it in.

I found this out yesterday when I was looking at some videos on You-tube about the Macbook pro 17" and getting all happy, until...Yikes!!! the anti glare looked terrible, and also there were several issues that were reported on many blogs regarding the display itself. So I started getting worried. Mind you, my Macbook pro has yet to arrive. I chose the anti glare option also because of stuff I read on reviews about the glossy being too bright but since I was in a hurry, I did not even bother to look up pictures and just assumed that it would look the same as the glossy, maybe just darker. No offense to anyone who does like the anti glare version, but personally I like the structural integrity exhibited by the glossy, again which is what I though the anti glare would look like.

However, I called the online store and told them that I felt misinformed as no one told me that they are changing the screen. And just to be clear, this is my first mac and to me anti glare simply meant that there would be some sort of a coating on the screen. Also, I told the apple online store rep that they not only do not have any pictures of the anti glare version online on the apple website but also they do not explain how it is different. I also told them to put pictures up, explain the process and also let their phone reps know that they should describe this to their customers. The online store rep was nice enough to put in my request for a refund. However this was unsettling to me. So I called again, and this time got an approval for the return request and also asked the online store to send me return shipping labels.

After all this, about 10 minutes ago, I started thinking again that even after I return the Macbook pro, I would have to wait 5 days get refunded. So while I am drowning in my sorrows, I start to Google Macbook pro 17" matte. Finally I find a blog, here on Macrumors, in which a person stated to return a product to an apple store. Bingo; a light bulb came on and I called the 5th ave. store in Manhattan which is literally open all the time. I spoke with them and to my relief, they will take it as far as I do not open the box and give me the glossy with the remote and any difference would be store credit.

Long and short of it, I am tied for time as I am mobilized for Iraq with the US Army and this is the last week I have with my family. Given my research could have been a bit thorough and I could have avoided this mistake. I must say that apple is by far the most understanding company I have dealt with as they were helpful. Although I need to add that you need to ask the right questions and not take no for an answer. Also, I guess I will only be completely satisfied after I actually exchange the Macbook pro at the apple store, which is due by Tuesday. I am sharing this story as I have seen in some blogs that people bought the anti glare aka matte version and were not happy and also were not able to refund it. Maybe their story was different as maybe they knew what it looked like and what had been done to it or possibly the their CTO (configure to order) was too complex to refund. In any case, the moral of the story is, if in doubt, speak your mind and call your friendly neighborhood apple store.

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Wow, that's great! I hope you are very, very happy with that deal - I sure would he :)
    Some people think the glossy screen is the worst thing about the new MBP's, but I personally think it makes it look amazing (the matte option, with the silver bezel, ends up making the keyboard look so out of place).
    Enjoy your MacBook Pro - it's definitely worth it :D

3. Thomas Davie macrumors 6502

I have the glossy UMBP 17, and am quite satisfied with it. It's neat because you can see if someone is sneaking up on you :)

In all seriousness, no problems with the screen, and I do not like matte screens. Just goes to show you that personal preference is well, personal.

Tom

4. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

I just took delivery of my 17" glossy UMBP on Friday. I love it. I haven't seen the matte display yet, but I don't think I'd really care for it. I'm guessing the colors wouldn't 'pop' like they do on the glossy screen.

Honestly....since I don't do photo-processing or film editing on my Mac, I really don't understand all the glossy-vs-matte discussions.

Oh well....

LOVE my glossy. :D

5. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

the matte is lovely to be honest. But 17" really was too bulky for me to carry around so I went with the 15" and you know what? The display is gorgeous, absolutely lovely.:D

6. YsoSerious macrumors 6502

YsoSerious

Stay Safe in Iraq...

7. lazaruzz macrumors newbie

i return my MBP lastnight cause it had a scratch on the cover when i opened it.. got some bs from apple employees at the store but at the end i walked out with a new MBP but when i got home and opened it i found out it was an ati glare one not a glossy one like the one i returned. Now im not much a anti glare person all my montors are glossy and the first MBP i got was anti glare and didnt like it cause it was making my eyes hurt, but this one doesnt hurt my eyes this time maybe they fixed it but i would like to know should i go back and tell them they gave me the wrong one or keep it.?

8. soldier007 thread starter macrumors newbie

re: lazaruzz

well...I guess it's entirely up to you if you want to keep the anti glare lazaruzz...if you are fine with it, it doesn't matter...the anti glare is $50 more actually as you are paying for them to remove the glass and put an aluminum bezel to secure the display...

and yes I got the MBP glossy and have been on it since I got it on monday...I spent an hour or so deciding at the apple store and yes the glare on the glossy is insane but again that depends on the light and yes it's still pretty reflective, however, in my opinion, the anti glare's display does not even compare to the glossy...I did get the glossy and am very happy with it...

I understand that it's still a matter of personal preference and anti glare or glossy, both are still the same machines...I do think though that the anti glare on full brightness still seemed quite dull, and maybe it is what it is and is fine with many...I also got a Pelican case, model 1495-CC1 which is heavy but good enough to protect the MBP especially given the environment I'll be in...

9. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Glossy screens looks absolutely spectacular. Congrats on your purchase and good luck in Iraq!

10. jklmacz macrumors newbie

Congratulations on your purchase. I recently purchased my UMBP 17" 2.66 with no matte finish today over the phone. I have been looking into the Macbook Pro and their products quite some time(2 months) and I finally made my decision today.

I guess in video and photography terms, the anti-glare would be the choice in my opinion and from what I have been reading online.

I'll be deploying to Afghanistan this mid-summer.

God speed to you and come home safe.

jklmacz