My MacBook Pro has water damage, need to buy a new one

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AlexTheGeek, Jun 1, 2016.

1. AlexTheGeek, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016

AlexTheGeek macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

Hello!

So I managed to get about 1L water into my MacBook Pro 15" late 2013 model, don't ask how lol.
    I got money from my insurance to buy a new one, but I don't know what to do.
    I know there might be a new one on the WWDC, but what if there is no new? I would loose a lot of money buying a old one...

What would you do? I've been looking at the Dell XPS 15, but I don't want to switch to Windows...

- Alexander

2. jerryk macrumors 68020

If a new one is announced at the WWDC, the values of the current and older models will drop.
    But, some speculation is that the system will not be available until late fall. Can you wait that long?

I am in a similar situation. My current Macbook Pro needs to go to a family member in a few weeks. My plan is to see what is announced at WWDC and if it is special enough I might wait. But most likely I will just buy a refurbished unit which should also get cheaper as a result of an announcement at WWDC. Given Apple past track record, I am not sure I want to own the first version of any major update to a MacBook Pro.

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

This is non-sense.

You don't need a new laptop: you just need to send your logic board in for components repair.

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Wait a couple weeks. If there is nothing new announced, or whatever is announced doesn't "float your boat", then decide on if OS X is that important to you. If it is, then get the most current one that you can. If it isn't, then get the XPS.

5. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

The current MBPro isn't going to stop working once the new ones are announced, whenever that happens.
    The idea of switching to windows to avoid a previous generation CPU at the cost of an OS you don't like seems a little crazy to me.

I think you need to give it some more thought. If you don't like Windows, don't buy it. There are always going to be new laptops coming at some time in the future, but that won't mean that your current laptop stops working.

So if you need something now and don't want Windows, then the Dell seems like a non-starter.
    If you don't need something just yet then wait for the new ones.

Just be aware that there are people who have been waiting patiently for well over a year for a new laptop release. It could come at WWDC, but it might be some time later.

6. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Yeah, because that worked out so well for you in the long run.

I work in an electronics manufacturing facility, and while we do have the ability to repair circuit boards with liquid damage, we don't. The long term effects of any seen or unseen corrosion are not always predictable and can significantly reduce the life of the assembly.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2016 ---
    If you need a laptop now, buy one now. If you can wait then wait.

Either way, buy the computer that suits your needs and it won't matter if its a 2015 or 2016 model, it'll do what you need it to do.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

It's still working over three years later.

I would considered that "worked out well in the long run".

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Then what exactly was the point of your tirade about apple wanting to charge $1000+ to "replace the battery?"

9. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

The price of replacing the battery is suppose to be $200.

10. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

When there hasn't been liquid damage and unauthorized repairs, that is correct.

11. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

What do you think Apple do with liquid damaged logic boards anyway?

Apple just repaired them and sent them back out as refurbished logic boards.

This is no different except that a third party instead of Apple repaired the logic board.

The problem is not that there is anything wrong with the logic board: the problem is that Apple doesn't get to change 8X as much for the repair as does a third party facility.

12. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

And you know that for a fact? Any responsible manufacturer knows the risks involved. Again, I trust Apple more than I trust you.

Actually it is different. Apple wouldn't be refurbishing a liquid damaged logic board. They know better. You, apparently, don't.

No, the problem is you don't understand what consequences are. The computer had liquid damage and you didn't have it repaired in a manner that the manufacturer considered correct. That's on you, not Apple.

13. tubeexperience, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You mean like this?

In fact, Apple doesn't exactly make it a secret.

If the schematics are available, then the logic boards can be properly repaired.

14. AlexTheGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

Just got words from the support team at apple and it would cost more to replace all the parts then buying a new one. So I need a new one.

15. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

You can sent your laptop to a third party repair facility that can repair liquid damaged logic boards and it'll be much cheaper

16. AlexTheGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

Hm, even if I live in Norway? I'll get all the money I paid for the mac from my insurance company, so would be nice to not have to spend it all on a new mac.

17. tubeexperience, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Talk to this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/user/rossmanngroup

https://www.rossmanngroup.com/

If that's too far to sent, check locally to see if anyone does logic repair (NOT logic board replacement).

18. CE3 macrumors 6502a

I would definitely wait for WWDC, because it's literally days away. At least then you'll be able to make the best decision. I think it's very likely new models will debut, and if you still decide to go with a 2015 model, you'll probably find better sales after the announcement.

19. AlexTheGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

Ok, so it didn't happen and I'm in panic mode. I don't really feel like buying a new macbook pro and loosing a lot of money. So I've been looking at the Dell XPS 15, anyone have any different opinion on what to do?

20. Howard2k macrumors 6502a

Howard2k

It's not an investment, it's a tool.
    Will the current MBPro so what you want at a price you're happy with? No? Then buy the Dell.

21. AlexTheGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

Hm, what about buying a used one and selling it when fall comes around to buy a new one after the apple event? :)

22. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

As soon as you buy ANY computer it will lose value. As Howard2k pointed out, computers are not investments.

Buy a computer based on your needs, then it doesn't matter if it loses value, it will meet your needs.

23. AlexTheGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

That is very true, but I don't feel like the rMBP has everything I need to be set for the next 4-5 years. I wish it had 32GB of ram and I hope for 4K.

24. jerryk macrumors 68020

What do you do that requires 32 GB of RAM?

25. AlexTheGeek thread starter macrumors newbie

AlexTheGeek

I do graphic design, web development, video editing and 3D... I just want it to have good specs for the next 4-5 years :)