My Macbook Pro is all kinds of fked

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TonyTheBean, Nov 16, 2011.

1. TonyTheBean macrumors newbie

Okay, so first let me explain what is wrong with my currently 25% working macbook pro.

It has no screen, i currently just use a mini-displayport to vga port that somewhat works with my current "monitor" (its actually a 19" tv).

The performance of it has gone down alot. I use to be able to play games (GTA:SA, Gunz, etc.) on the Windows 7 at around 30-60fps, now i cant play it at more then 15. All my applications on the mac side show a significant loss in performance too. Such as premiere pro, before it ran perfectly, now it lags my entire computer.

The exhaust fan (the only fan that i know of) has tons of problems. I dont know if its the sensor, or what. But it never goes above 1300rpm. I've had it go to about 103c and the fans went down to about 100-0rpm. Sometimes (even under no load at all) it goes up to 6000+rpm and makes an odd sound that i dont think it should be making. I would get a audio recording but it only happens for about 5-10 seconds. As soon as it does that, the temps go down and my computer gets faster, then after about 1 minute of doing that it suddenly goes down to 0rpm. This has happened to me before, only on a worse scale. When it happened, the fan was always at 0rpm, and it got hot enough to where it shut off.

I have a 13 inch Mid-2009 lowest end MacBook Pro, dualbooting Lion 10.7 and Windows 7 Ultimate.
    How should i go about repairing my beloved laptop without an apple repair (i live miles from the nearest apple store, and im out of my apple care)?

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

uhm, buy a new one?

isn't there any apple authorized service provider in your area?

you could try wiping the hard drive, resetting PRAM and SMC and all that stuff, but honestly it sounds like it's broken, a lot!

3. TonyTheBean thread starter macrumors newbie

All i really need is the fan to be fixed. When i was typing that up the fan went to about 6000rpm and it sped my computer up alot. I'm okay with not living with a screen for a while.
    How do you go about resetting the PRAM and SMC?

4. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I had fan issues even after doing the SMC reset, and various other things. Cracked it open and the fan was dirty...turned it on..no luck. Went to the Genius bar and they diagnosed it with having a cracked fan...probably from me using the thing so damn hard lmao, anyways it was a $62 part and it was under warranty and now my Mac is even more quiet than before.

5. TonyTheBean thread starter macrumors newbie

I lost my warrenty last year, does anybody know how much this would be without a warrenty?
    Also, i just looked up where the nearest apple store is, its the next town over so a Genius Bar appointment might be possible. There is also a mac repair store here in town, but i heard they charge ridiculous rates and fees.

6. iMacC2D, Nov 16, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

With a MacBook that busted up and you're using a monitor I'd probably consider a new or used Mac Mini.

8. TonyTheBean thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, thanks.

9. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

Yo bro have you downloaded SMCfancontrol? Use that at least in the meantime to manually set fan at or near max when playing games. I wouldn't be surprised if your GPU/CPU is about to blow up because it's so hot that it scales right back.

http://www.eidac.de/?p=207