My Macbook Pro is Randomly playing music

Astonish_IT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2017
Hello everyone,

I have a problem since like 2-3 weeks and I searched the internet to resolve it and this time without luck. I have a 2017 Macbook Pro ( 15 inch if it matters ) with touchbar and I am using Mac OS Catalina 10.15.1. Since like 2-3 weeks, i dont understand how, but my Macbook started to play random musics or sometimes even random adds. I see nothing on the screen, i tried to close even all the open apps, because at first i thought that it may be some add in a google chrome tab that i didn't realise but no, even when i close the apps it keeps playing and it is driving me crazy.

Could you help me about it? Where to look at..etc. Because i know that on Windows, i can go to sound options and it shows me the apps playing sounds, on Mac i saw some terminal commands on google but i realy didn't understand the answers given by terminal.

It may possibly be a malware as well, but i don't know any fast/free app (like avast on windows) that can let me find out.

And no, i don't have airpods..etc (i saw some people asked in a similar thread) i only have Macbook Pro and iPad Pro and when this is happening i am not touching my iPad Pro so i dont think that i activate something like airplay..etc

Thank you very much

Brian33

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2008
USA (Virginia)
Try rebooting the machine (this will ensure that all applications are terminated). After it comes up again, can you hear the sounds even before opening any apps? If so, I would strongly suspect malware of some kind.

I've seen many recommendations on these forums for Malwarebytes (https://www.malwarebytes.com/) to scan for malware, and reports of it helping. I've only used it once (it didn't find anything but I was pretty sure the machine was already clean). You can download it and scan your machine for free -- you don't need to pay for the extra features like continuous scanning.

rcprador

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2019
Do you have any Bluetooth audio device connected to it?

Try [for some time] fully disabling bluetooth on System Preferences.
Wait to check if the problem happens.

It may be some intermitent bluetooth audio device connecting to MacOS, and it has the behavior of start Music automatically and start playing some random music [EVERY TIME] the bluetooth audio device has a reconnection.

I'll wait for your reply