My macbook pro retina is defective, how can I make sure I don't get a refurb?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chad.petree, Oct 29, 2013.

1. chad.petree macrumors 6502

chad.petree

So i got a macbook pro retina 15" at the beginning of February (late 2012 version) and now since a couple of weeks the screen has been acting funny, I wouldn't say it's a retention problem, the screen kind of blinks, its quite noticeable on solid white/grey tones, for example on wallpapers with clouds it looks like the clouds are moving :D , so I'm going to go to the Apple store and ask for a replacement /fix , the thing is, I seriously doubt that they would give me a new model since my laptop is already 8 months old, let's say the say ok we will give you a new laptop but they end up giving me a refurb model, is there a way for me to know this? :confused:

Even if they give me a new model (late 2013 model) it's sort of a lose for me, the basic 15" model which is the one I have doesn't include a dedicated gpu, and I do play games on my mac :(

2. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

You will get a refurb most likely. You can check the battery cycles on it and also check the screen manufacturer. If it doesn't come out of the brand new box, then it isn't new.

3. chad.petree thread starter macrumors 6502

chad.petree

How can i check the battery cycles? The whole package thing sounds like a good thing to watch, can I refuse to be given a refurb?

4. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Is it a 'Three Strikes' model..??

I am not sure if you are meaning that you have previously had it in several times for similar Repairs, and so you are 'hoping' to have it Replaced..?? >> If NOT, then I suspect it will be Going In For Repairs, and you may have a Logic Board or Screen replaced.. Likely.. :apple:

FYI: To Check Battery Cycles:
    - Click on the Apple (upper left corner) > About this MAC > More Info > System Report
    - 'Open' Hardware > Power ** You will see MUCH info on your Battery here **

Good Luck

5. Klae17 macrumors 6502a

Klae17

You can but then you will probably have to keep your broken laptop instead. :). The refurbs are factory checked and new shells and fixed up. This is a good thing and better than the new ones that are only checked once.