My MacBook Pro Retina(Mid 2012) goes to sleep at 40% battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ozbilge10, Apr 10, 2017.

1. ozbilge10 macrumors member

ozbilge10

Hello everyone, my macbook pro goes to sleep with 40% battery left. When I try to turn it back on, it tells me to charge it. This has been happening for sometime. I know that the condition of the battery is "Service Battery". I think this might be an issue related to that. I tried SMC reset but it still happens. I'll put my coconut battery info, maybe that will help. I have a battery that I purchased a while ago; should I try to replace the battery if that's the only way to solve this problem? Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. robvas macrumors 68020

Battery % left is unreliable when 'service battery' message is present. I'd get it replace before it swells up or damages your laptop in other ways.

3. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Since you already have another battery, why not put it in?

4. ozbilge10 thread starter macrumors member

ozbilge10

I kind of hesitate to do it. Unlike non-retina models this one's battery is glued onto the chassis. I looked it up and they use some kind of alcohol to melt it. I guess I'll replace the battery then, thanks for the replies.

5. logicstudiouser macrumors 6502

logicstudiouser

If you don't want to do it yourself, maybe visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. At least in my area, rates are fair and service is very reliable.

6. Sanpete macrumors 68020

I see, didn't recall the glue going back that far. Yes, that's more involved. Good luck!

7. teeejay macrumors regular

I've got the exact same problem with the 2012 rMBP.