My Macbook Pro was stolen, but today it showed up on Find My Mac, through iCloud.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LouiseCLaroche, Aug 25, 2014.

1. LouiseCLaroche macrumors newbie

Last week my Macbook Pro was stolen from my office. We had a burglar break in through a window and grab my Macbook Pro.

I had encrypted it with FileVault 2, and had the latest Lion updates. I also had connected it to icloud so I can find it with the Find My iPhone app. At login you have to give an admin password or log in as guest.

Of course I checked day by day to see if my MBP would show up, but it didn't. I thought it was lost for good.

Then today, it shows up. In the same city where I live. I have a pretty good pinpoint on the map, although it's a multi-story apartment building.

Here's the good part. The guy has renamed my MBP from Raumschiff's Macbook Pro to [Firstname]'s Macbook Pro!

That narrows it down a whole lot.

I look up all the names of the tenants in the building, and there's only one person registered with that first name.

Now, since the company I work for owns the MBP, I call my boss and give him all this info, and he gives it to the cops.

Updates will follow. OP will deliver.

First things first. FRONT PAGE WOOHOO

Now down to business. The police are trying to get in touch with the guy as we speak. When I hear more, I'll update this post. Also there are apparently two more guy there living relatively close by with the same first name. I hope this doesn't mess things up.

UPDATE. The name of my computer changed to some other dude's name. It's not active now though, but icloud is going to notify me automatically via email as soon as it's up again. Hopefully with location.

FINAL EDIT.

It has been over a year. The cops never did anything. My boss bought me a new MBP. The old one has disappeared off the radar. The earth keeps spinning.

[​IMG]

2. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

TBH as soon as the Cops showed any interest it will have been fenced/changed again....

More interesting is do you think FV2 did a good job, no indications your data was compromised?

4. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm guessing you didn't set a firmware password so the thief couldn't reinstall the OS?

6. konradsa macrumors regular

Cops don't do much about petty crimes anymore nowadays, it's a shame. As long as there is no violence or bodily harm, they couldn't care less. Same happened to me once with a car GPS that got stolen from me. Even though I could show the cops the online ebay auction where it was sold (i was 100% sure it was mine due to the location and the weird accessories that they included that could have only come from mine), nothing happened.