MY Macbook Pro wont connect to a particular network, but will connect to others??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by applesmith123, Jun 2, 2011.

1. applesmith123 macrumors newbie

My mbp wont connect to a particular wifi network. Im trying to connect to a free network where you need the log in user name password but it wont connect, a little exclamation mark ! appears on the airport icon in the top right.

It will connect to another free wifi spot that it finds, and loads the logon page (but i dont have the password etc for that one)

It connected fine 2 days ago, my iphone will connect and so will my imac.

Ive tried creating a new airport, and ive tried creating a new location in airport settings but nothing seems to work

please help?

2. jimmyhii macrumors member

hey there, i'm not sure if by "free network" you mean a public one, such as at a coffee shop. if so, I'm really not sure what you can do.

but if you have access to the network's settings check to see if MAC filtering is on. it might just be a case where you've forgotten to allow your MBP to connect.

hope this helps!

3. applesmith123 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help but i dont think thats the problem.. It's sort of like a free public wifi such a coffee shop.... But im in paris, here they have networks that cover big areas over the city. And you must have to purchase a username password etc and then your able to log in - but the house im staying in just gave me the username.

usually it connects, and then the computer loads the log in page...

but my macbook wont connect to this network anymore.. but it will stil connect to others but i dont have the user name for them :(

dam this is annoying!

4. Olivia86 macrumors newbie

EXACT same problem

Hey!

I am living in Paris and since my own connection went down a week or so ago I have been using the network "FreeWiFi" to connect from my MacBook. It worked fine for about a week, but now instead of taking me to the login page, it shows a full signal, does not allow access to any pages, and then shows an exclamation point over the Airport bars.

Did you ever find a solution? Right now I'm using a little AcerOne that connects with no problems. I took my Mac to Le Mcdo today and had no problem connecting to their free wireless network, so I know the wireless on my Mac isn't broken.

Please let me know if you figured anything out. It hasn't been easy to find a solution in English, or any language for that matter, on why France's "Free WiFi" doesn't like Macs!

Thanks!

5. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Have you tried deleting all traces of the network from your Network Settings and Keychain Access?

6. desihall macrumors newbie

i have been in france for 6 weeks and had the same issue. i was able to use free wifi for a few weeks, then suddenly i am unable to get an IP address from the connection and instead get a self assigned 169.xxx..... IP address that doesn't work. I can use any other internet connection but the free wifi is all over france and it sure would be handy to be able to access it. i have tried everything and the last resort is the boot disk that came with the computer, but mine is in the US. Please help!!

7. skinuca macrumors member

skinuca

/!\

Argh, this problem is such an annoying one. I have it off and on with several f my machines, this worst being my MBA. I have found no solutions, so am posting in several thread just to see if any good advice is out there.

I can tell you the problem has been out there for several years and there are many threads. I have tried many fixes, but find that they work sometimes or not at all. Sometimes too, the problem just goes away, which leads me to believe that the fixes were not really that.

Power cycling the router does work most of the time, but of course can't always be done. I now travel with personal MBP and not the work MBA as can not know for sure the Air will connect. It works most of the time, but that is not good enough for work. On networks where it will not connect, my iPhone, iPad2 and MBP all can connect. The MBA is a maxed out Rev B running 10.6.8. The problem is not new to 10.6.8. :( :apple: :(