My macbook stays on ther grey screen with the apple logo and the circle thingy below

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MAC NOOB =(((, Oct 12, 2008.

1. MAC NOOB =((( macrumors newbie

forever the cirlce thingy moves though. this is on my second partition it worked fine until i done a experiment .

In case anyone else has this issue I found the below which has been tried and tested: -

PREP
    Have TWO blank partitions ready. One will be for the installer and the other will be where you install Leopard. [Double this if you intend to also load up Server.]

LET’S GO

* With your disc image mounted, open the Disk Utility application (Applications -> Utilities).
    * Click the Restore tab (see it near the top of the Disk Utility window? Just after First Aid, Erase and RAID…)
    * Drag your DMG file from the list on the left of your Disk Utility window to the “Source” field.
    * Then, drag the icon of the partition you want to put the installer on to the “Destination” field. Again, do this from the left pane of your Disk Utility window. If you try to do this from the desktop (as I kept trying to do) you’re going to drive yourself bonkers.
    * Click the “Erase Destination” check box so that it shows a check.
    * I also skipped the Checksum. You might or might not want to do the same. Your call.
    * Click Restore.
    * Wait until done.

Once the above is complete you now have a bootable OSX Leopard Install partition.

All you have to do now is go to System Preferences -> Startup Disk and specify your boot partition to be “Mac OS X Install DVD”.

Restart and prepare to install to your other blank partition (or, really, wherever you choose). [It warrants disclosing… some people have said (comments below) their mileage is poor with USB drives… I can’t say with any authority that USB drives don’t work as startup volumes for Leopard… it would seem at the least they don’t do the job well.]

BTW, this should work on ANY Mac OS install DMG. There’s no special voodoo magic just because it’s Leopard.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

are you wanting help with the boot issue or telling how to dual boot OS X?

if you are in need of help try starting in Verbose mode by holding "command-S" on startup and seeing where it stalls.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Isn't Verbose, Command-V?

4. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^yep! sorry ive been command-s-ing lately and fsck-ing.