My Macbook will not start & no sign of hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RhymesWithPants, Jun 7, 2008.

1. RhymesWithPants macrumors newbie

I've run through some rudimentary procedures for recovering a Macbook that starts up with a blinking question mark. However, each method implies the presence of a hard drive, which I cannot locate.

I've booted from the disk, first Leopard, then Tiger. Disk utility shows no sign of my hard drive.

I've back up my files pretty recently, so I'm not worried about losing anything in the likely event that my drive needs to be wiped or is not recoverable.

The last thing I did was hold the power button to force the computer off after iTunes had frozen. Now it starts up with a couple of clicking sounds from the HD :(

Does anyone have any suggestions ? Is there anything I can enter in terminal? I ran across a similar thread and it seems that my drive is shot.

Any help would be appreciated :)

2. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

When you booted from the Leopard or Tiger installation disks did you go into disk utility? If so and the disk cannot been seen or formatted its very likely the hard drive is dead. The clicking is also a relatively good tell tell sign.

Good news is that the Mackbook's hard drives are very easy to replace and relatively inexpensive.

3. RhymesWithPants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the verifying words. Out to buy a new drive :rolleyes: