My macbook wont connect to my wifi even after many attempts to connect it

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maribella, Oct 30, 2010.

1. Maribella macrumors newbie

I don't know what's wrong with it.
    My ipod touch connects just fine and yet when i try to connect my new macbook it won't allow me to connect.
    I've never owned a macbook - so i have no idea how to fix this.
    I currently have the network setup assistant running and configuring - but it's been about an hour and it hasn't done anything.
    Is there something else i need to do?
    Thank you for your help!

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Can you provide more details?

What exact MacBook with what exact Mac OS X version do you have? What exact router do you use via what specific network settings and protection?

Does that wireless network show up and what happens if you want to connect to it?

3. Maribella thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Macbook Pro 15" core i7
    I just bought it today - not sure what OS it is... i guess the newest one?
    I have a westell 327W router.
    As for the settings on the network i have it as public with network discovery on
    it does show up in the networks list on the macbook, it just doesn't connect

4. mac8867 macrumors 6502

I am a consultant, and connect my mbp to many many client networks... I have never had an issue. So assuming I have encountered many different wireless router platforms, I suspect that your wireless router is not the issue.. But who knows.

Here is what I suggest. Go to a friends house, or a public wifi spot... Perhaps a couple, and see if you can connect to those networks. If you can... Go to walmart and buy a new wireless router ($40) is a typical price... If you are in the UK, try asda.

Sorry, that's all I got.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

First things first, is your airport turned on?

Have you entered the network's password correctly? Mac OS X seems to like remembering wrong passwords and keeping them. Try deleting the network from your network list and trying again.

6. Maribella thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it says airport is turned on.
    Or is airport something else i was supposed to buy?
    & my network actually doesn't have a password so it can't be that :/

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

You could try at another person's place or another open network, to rule out the computer itself being faulty.