My main Macbook's HD crashed, I need t recover Address book files or I'm dead tomorro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by chuknorriss, Jan 2, 2010.

1. chuknorriss macrumors newbie

I'm running my Macbook 4,1 from and external LaCie 500 GB HD. In a way similar to what happened to the Snow Leopard users that were complaining about their HD crashing: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=841651&highlight=grey+bar%2C+start%2C+snow%2C
    and http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=794971&highlight=grey+bar%2C+start%2C+snow%2C

My case is a particular one, apparently I can use Windows and external HDs but not my main one, the one in which My Address Book and all my contact's info are.

I can access the damaged disk, I backed up all the info I mean everything including System and Lybrary folder. I was using SL on my damaged HD and the one I'm using run plain Leopard so I can´t access the Address book on the application folders I saved from doom. It says to me the architecture of the program differs from the one I can support.

I know I should have backed up AB periodically, but I haven't since last year. I really need that contact list! how can I recover it into an .abbu file? Remember I have access to every file of my doomed HD, Also runs bootcamo

I mean. This is like recover AB contacts after accidentally deleting them, the files must be somewhere in the regs on in the Library. I think...anyway I'm a n00b.

Next time I just rely on an address book, A real, tangible one!!! or maybe try training in that ancient and mystical skill my ancestor called memorizing numbers,

Thanks for your help and happy new year.

2. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Why not install Snow Leopard on the external, then access your files (maybe by running Migration Assistant to recover files from the internal drive)?

3. nOw2 macrumors regular

Try copying "/Users/xyz/Library/Application Support/AddressBook" to another account/Mac. That should allow you to open Address Book with your original data.

4. chuknorriss thread starter macrumors newbie

Noy so sure about it, cause I don't have another ExHD to backup the info while I install SL on this one, plus I want info about how AB works, cause I dont know if I'll be able to recover my contact list just by clicking on the AB icon that is located in the backup folder <applications, the one I rescued from the damaged internal Macbook disc> Maybe the info is in some reg or library folder ut, where to search?

5. dbwie macrumors 6502

Do you have MoblieMe, an iPod, or an iPhone? You may have synced the contacts with any of these at some point?

For future reference, you can make a backup of your address book by opening the application, going to File > Export > Address Book Archive.

6. chuknorriss thread starter macrumors newbie

Ca you explain fiurther please, I'm a total n00b, where do I copy those? what other account mac? Please, I'm very thankful that you help me.