My Mayor FINALLY get charged with a felony

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by stevento, Mar 24, 2008.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

I am from Detroit and our mayor Kwame Kilpatrick is quite possibly America's worst mayor
    he made time's list of worst mayors

Our city has been losing population due to heavy crime and poor schools and no jobs. we used to be over a million, now we're at 750-800 k people
    so what he did was
    1 cut fire and police to save money in the budget, now crime is rediculous :mad::mad:

2. cut funding for Detroit Public Schools (the city's largest employer) to give money to charter schools (which are private schools who get public $$$)

i defy anyone to show me a worse mayor than this
    not to mention misusing tax payer $$ to buy new trucks for his wife, "business trips" to vegas, stipper parties at his lavish mansion etc...
    and appointing his unqualified friends to fail at important jobs or sit on the payroll to do nothing
    not to mention the sex scandals that have just come up (but i dont really care about that )

anyways if you combine all the failed policies, incompetence, corruption and poor leadership of bush/cheney and all the hilarious sex scandals of clinton/spitzer you get get kwame kilpatrick
    he truly is the worst of both worlds
    -for people who watch the simpsons think of mayor kwimbe -now he's finally heading to jail!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/24/kilpatrick.investigation/index.html

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Yet he still gets reelected. Kind of like Marion Berry.

I live in Flint part-time and they had a mayor when I first moved there that lasted only like 8 months, then they recalled him, now there is a guy who has balanced the budget without cutting police patrols, but reducing the extravagant benefits that they had been given, and consolidating duplicated police and fire stations. All they need now is for US companies to start manufacturing there (ARE YOU LISTENING APPLE???) or data centers to start up in the abandoned warehouses.

TEG

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Dang, that is one corrupt dude.

Cutting BOTH education funds and police/fire funds... is just R-Tarded on his part. (not to mention the other ways in which he completely fails)

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm always up for a challenge...
    [​IMG]

But yeah, I am surprised this guy is still in office. Seems like he should be out faster than you can say "David Vitter".

5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Are you kidding me? We've got Vitter and Ray Nagin down here in Lousiana.

We sure can pick em!

6. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

crap, i cant see that pic but the reason he gets reelected is people in detroit dont know their own good
    things constantly go wrong and they head to the polls and vote for the same people.

7. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Is this the same mayor that was camping out for iPhone until the reporters/citizens called him on it?

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No.

I think blaming the stalled progress of Detroit's renovation on Kilpatrick solely is a bit ignorant of history... but then the image that is damning Kilpatrick now is pretty much the same image that helped him take out Archer.....

I have to be honest, though... if you're going to post a detailed character assault on a politician, that would be a good time to at least fake an attempt at proper grammar. ;)

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

10. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

its not a character assualt. i'm just saying that he's not in the least bit qualified to the job he does.
    the only thing that speaks to his character is the sex scandals and honestly i dont care about that because its betwixt him and his family.

11. paleck macrumors 6502a

paleck

Thanks mkrishan! Me and google weren't getting along on trying to remember who it was.

12. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I think its telling that the elections in your city are between two democratic candidates.

13. dopey220 macrumors 6502

dopey220

Yup, I'm from Ann Arbor (currently living in Grand Rapids), so I've been following this pretty closely. It's quite the debacle.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Thankfully for Kilpatrick, the GOP has announced loud and clear to everyone that perjury is no big deal, something overzealous partisan prosecutors charge you with when they have no proof of any REAL crime having occured.

I'm sure all the people who were defending Scooter Libby on perjury charges will be out in force to defend this injustice perpetrated for partisan gain.

Right?

15. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

well our old mayor charged 20,000 to the town at a strip club.

16. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

lol, are you from bolingbrook? Roger Claar? They ran an article in Chicago magazine about his shady practices. not to mention, i see him at the bars all the time buying the local PD/FD drinks.

17. nickster9224 macrumors 6502a

nickster9224

no i live in new lenox. it was mike smith. but now we have a new mayor.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Yeah, because Republicans never do this type of thing. :rolleyes:

Also, for those who may think we only criticize the GOP, I'd also like to note that no one defended William Jennings Jefferson either. Nor Spitzer, especially with his prostitutes. Vitter should go too though.

19. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Competition is a GOOD thing! Regions where one party has a lock, be it Republican or democrat, do not have to compete to keep the publics favor. Often times, not always, this forms a complacency that can be very damaging.

20. stevegmu macrumors regular

He's probably waiting for a deal. If he resigns, he can avoid jail-time.
    Besides, I heard he's only being prosecuted because of 'racism.'

21. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

You can say that again. I have a colleague who has written some scholarly articles about the de-industrialization of Detroit, and however bad the current mayor may be he is not the primary cause of Detroit's current plight. Which isn't to say he shouldn't be given the boot pronto.

Maybe he was trying to bring attention to the education problems the city is facing. :D

[A bit low, but if you pitch softballs someone is going to take a swing...]

22. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

Yep - Omni Consumer is having trouble getting crime under control before they start Delta City next to old Detroit. If they could make some type of robot that would help - then I think that might help in getting Detroits renovation back on track.

23. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

Sorry for bringing the thread back from the dead, but I thought I should update everyone on our lovely Mayor.

He's back in court today for violating his bond... again, he already has violated it three times, and was thrown in jail last Thursday for violating it now he might get thrown in again, this man truly thinks that he is God or something.

@ mkrishnan: I have met Dennis Archer (My mom is his secretary at the law firm he is chairman of the board of) he is a very nice and caring person, and I honestly think that he has and had the best interest of Detroit in his mind. But I agree with you, that Kilpatrick is not the sole reason that Detroit has sunk to the level of a third world city. He can share the blame with Jennifer Granholm!

Here is a link about Kilpatrick violating his bond again.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/17152216/detail.html

Don

24. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

He needs to resign. I think any mayor who is assaulting cops needs to be impeached.
    But he's holding on for the pension. if he stays in his job for the next 6 months, he'll get a pension for the rest of his life equal to his salary on the job.
    obviously detroit tax payers dont want to pony up for that.

25. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

stevento

UPDATE: Kwame Kilpatrick now must wear a leg tether and he is restricted to three counties!
    The mayor of the city of Detroit has an ankle bracelet on his leg to make sure he stays in Michigan while awaiting trial for corruption, perjury and misconduct.
    Because he was making trips to Canada without talking to the courts first. BUt he is allowed to go to Denver for the convention.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/08/14/detroit.mayor/index.html

What a Mayor...