My MBAir Airport takes forever to find my network - advice?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by aminewyork, Nov 14, 2008.

1. aminewyork macrumors newbie

I have a brand new MBAir Rev 2 for about 2 weeks now.

I have 2 wifi networks in my house (time capsule on 802.11n 5 Ghz & Airport Extreme on 802.11n b/g). Both signals are extremely strong.

My mbair used to pick up either signal very very quickly for the first 2 weeks of ownership.

Now it scans for about 2-3 mins before it sees either of my networks.

Is there anything i can do to return it back to its old state?

Thx in advance.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Give AppleCare a call and have them walk you through the procedure to reboot/restore your MBA to its factory settings. I just recently had a kernel panic and the AppleCare Tech had me do a Disk Verify/Disk Repair, and a Disk Permission Verify/Repair, and it left everything on the desktop and the hard drive intact. Took about 30 minutes, and my MBA was good as new, and operating the same as before...:cool:

3. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    interesting, I'm having this same sort of problem with my MBP.

4. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

Not sure if this is related, but I find that subsequent to one of the OSX updates it takes longer for me to find my wireless networks. I never used to really notice, but I notice every time now.

5. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

this might make sense. My wife hasn't gotten latest update to Leopard, but I have. Hers finds our network faster.

6. stevemoore macrumors newbie

migration process

Hi

I had exactly this problem on a new machine following a migration. I deleted the Airport in Network Preferences, reinstalled it, and it worked quickly and reliably ever since.

Good luck

7. aminewyork thread starter macrumors newbie

I fixed my problem by following the steps listed in the last post here

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1736912&tstart=1

OK, I did some fiddling with the settings and I managed to get it down to 6 seconds. The problem apparently is the order of your network interfaces in your network settings.

* Open system preferences / network (I am assuming you are using Leopard).
    * In the window on the left delete those interfaces you do not use (bluetooth for example - do not worry, you can alway add them later on).
    * Select the symbol on the right of the minus sign and choose "set service order". Make sure that airport is first. Then press "apply".

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

yep, I had been meaning to post that advice. I discovered that too. Just had so many networks on there.