My MBP battery is at 51% at 25 cycles, AppleCare won't replace it, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bastetbabe27, Aug 21, 2008.

1. bastetbabe27 macrumors newbie

I own a MBP that is 21 months old (late Nov. 2006). I've basically used it as a desktop replacement, kept it plugged in most of the time, though I did calibrate the battery every couple of months. And I also have the AppleCare extended warranty

About a week ago, when I calibrated the battery, it charged up to 99% capacity and just stalled there--never reached 100%, power adapter light stayed amber. When I removed the power adapter, the indicator would read 100%. When I plugged the power adapter back in, the indicator would read 100% and the light would be green for a couple of seconds and then go back to 99% and amber.

I start poking around online to see what's up. I come across information on the Apple Support forums that indicates a lot of people have been having battery issues, and that if your battery was under 300 cycles and reading <80% health, you can get it replaced at no charge. I installed iStat Pro to check my battery health, and it reads 69%. What?! Slightly panicky, I figure, there's got to be something seriously wrong, and make a Genius Bar appointment.

I go to the appointment and explain the battery problem (as well as a couple other non-related issues) and they send it out for a checkup and repair.
    I get my MBP back, and they tell me they won't replace the battery because it's over a year old and AppleCare doesn't cover it, and their tests indicate there wasn't anything wrong with it. The Genius then said that the low cycle count indicated I wasn't using the battery much, which can negatively affect the battery life, and that if I start using it more, it may improve.

Well, it hasn't. It's health is now reading between 40% and 50%, even though I've been using the battery almost exclusively, and recalibrated it.

What can I do? Am I SOL? Should I call AppleCare again and demand a replacement? Is there anything I can do to revive my battery on my own?
    I don't want to buy a new battery if I don't have to, and it seems pretty unreasonable to say that a battery at ~50% health at 25 cycles doesn't have any underlying problem other than not being used enough.

- bastetbabe27

2. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Thats how batteries work, if you leave the battery charging all the time it will seriously deteriorate, it's not a defect. Apple have no right to replace it as its out of the replacement period and its your fault.

3. ShaneR macrumors member

I've always wondered about battery use...I know you're not suppose to leave it plugged in all the time since it shortens the battery life significantly, but I've heard you should use the battery about half the time. How true is this?

Also when you use the battery, does using the battery for a shorter period of time, say 60% battery remaining, then charging also effect the battery? Should you use the battery until it is nearly dead each time before charging again?

I heard several different opinions on this...

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

yeah....

While you don't have to be as careful with lithium-ion batteries anymore, 25 cycles in 21 months is very, very low. You simple aren't a normal laptop user and the battery is now not as effective because of this.

Why does it matter, anyway? Doesn't seem like you use the battery all that much.

5. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

2 years is a long time. batteries deteriorate even if you're not using them.

anyways, apple only warranties their battery for so long...they changed it recently.

batteries are considered consumable.

6. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

My MBP's i leave plugged in 24/7 the oldest one ( 2006 ) is at 232 cycles and has 90% health

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can't demand anything from Apple:
    Your battery isn't defective. You just didn't follow Apple's recommended procedures for the proper "care and feeding" of your battery. It's time to buy a new battery and maintain it properly this time.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Damn, I've had my MBP a little over a month and I already have 36 cycles :p. Do I use it too much?

Anyway, if you want a better battery just go buy a new one for about $100. You've had the machine for about two years which is pretty decent, so I wouldn't feel bad about buying a new one.

9. bartzilla macrumors 6502a

They replaced mine on a first gen macbook without any problems.

10. lucky3killer macrumors regular

I got extra battery for $85 from online store but can't remember about name that I had ordered in last several month ago.

Don't buy battery at Apple store or their retail store, you could get new battery for $85 from other online store.
    http://www.comptick.com/a1175.html

Apple Care Protection is just joke, no offense.

11. isauce macrumors regular

isauce

You do not use your laptop other than just a desktop replacement, so there is really no need for a new battery. Just keep it, however try to calibrate every so often and you may get another years span of the battery.

12. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Mines at nearly 500 cycles with 97% health. Point proven?

13. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

not really, batteries have come a long way since the 80's bro. it seems like a bad battery as long as you have calibrated it every few months. try to get a different genius to look at it

14. Sirus2400 macrumors regular

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No. I had 100 cycles in 2 months on my old battery.

16. cathyy macrumors 6502a

The CPU only runs at 1.2GHz instead of the 2.4GHz when the battery is taken out. What does Apple expect me to do then?

17. aquajet macrumors 68020

Leave your battery in the computer and use it at your convenience. The lithium polymer batteries in our machines are quite robust and are essentially maintanence free.

Leaving it plugged in all the time does not charge the battery continuously, causing deterioriation. This topic has been discussed to death and yet there is still wrong information being posted by people. Some of you need to do your homework before posting next time!

Here are a few simple guidelines to follow to ensure maximum battery longevity.

18. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

Well while not as informed as "some" of you guys here my White Macbook's battery sits on 73 cycles and is at 100% heath according to stats+

19. weckart macrumors 68040

Not necessarily true. I did the same with my Powerbook. After two and half years it was on about 40 cycles and 95% of original capacity. Mind you, my Macbook has been on countless cycles and iStat is still reporting 100% of original capacity, so what to believe?

20. powz macrumors regular

You should have a good chance of getting your battery replaced as your November 2006 MBP probably qualifies for a replacement battery under these conditions:

Apple Support Article

Check your battery health via system profiler (About This Mac --> More info --> Power). Look under charge information. If it reads less than 4200 mAh and less than 300 cycles, then you should have a pretty good case. Try calling AppleCare technical support. Be polite but firm that you think the battery is defective. Mention that your MBP qualifies under the Apple Support Article above. If they question you about the low cycle count, mention that you have been up-keeping the battery with regular calibrations. Don't even bother bringing it in to a genius (unless you have a lot of time to spare) as AppleCare can send you a replacement in the mail -- I got mine the next day after they agreed to replace it. Good luck!

21. bastetbabe27 thread starter macrumors newbie

In my defense....

I have done research, and I did search various forums before posting. So please don't be condescending. (see: nick9191) I'm not a computer expert, but I'm not stupid.

When I first got my MBP, the information I was given in the setup manual, iirc, said that I needed to calibrate my battery every 2 months or so. Which I did. As it turns out, that wasn't enough. And frankly, the information on Apple's site about proper battery maintenance (other than regular calibration) wasn't that easy to find.

But what's done is done.

So, onto the other question that was in my post: Was the Mac genius correct in saying that the battery health would improve if I used the battery more? I'll buy a new battery if I have to, but I don't like throwing things away unless they're broken beyond repair. It's wasteful. Are there any tricks to get "the juices flowing" again?

P.S. lucky3killer: For me, Apple Care hasn't been a waste. When I brought my MBP in for the battery issue, I also had these weird spots on my LCD and the bottom casing was coming unglued. (And I baby my MBP. There wasn't a scratch on it.) Apple replaced the entire LCD and the whole bottom casing with no problem, and took only three days to get my MBP back after sending it out for repair. I have no idea what it would have cost for those repairs w/out Apple Care, but I imagine it wouldn't have been cheap. Just my $.02.

P.P.S. Thanks for the links to battery sites. I'll definitely check them out.

-bastetbabe27

22. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

i really laughed out loud at this one. :rolleyes:

you should tell that to all the guys that had logic boards, lcds, hard drives, top cases, and other misc. parts replaced past the first year.

and for all the Nvidia FUD going around, i'd sure as hell buy it too.

23. L3X macrumors 6502a

Bad Battery...

My battery has 178 cycles with 0 mAh and it will not charge. Just went dead recently.

It's only a year old. I'm guessing it's eligible for a replacement.

If Apple or an AASP determines that your battery is eligible for replacement, you will receive a new battery, free of charge, even if your MacBook or MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

http://www.apple.com/support/macbook_macbookpro/batteryupdate/

Edit - Just finished with Applecare, Bonnie was very helpful. They are shipping me a new one. They also approved my Applecare even though I purchased it a day after my year was up. Props to Apple customer support.

24. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

glad it worked out for you.

i had my 2.33's battery replaced after a year because i had 68 cycles with 34% health.

25. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

This is 100% spot on...

I called Apple and had two MB batteries replaced with similar conditions to yours. One was even OVER 300 cycles and they replaced it. Just make sure they are aware of the Battery Update article linked above.

Sometimes I think the people on the phone are easier to work with than the Genius Bar. They give you less of a hassle...