My MBP came back from Applecare fixed, but with 75 GB HD instead of my 750. What?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ioasuka, May 13, 2014.

1. ioasuka macrumors newbie

I'm at a loss for words here, and would love to believe it's the OS misreading by exactly one decimal place, however I haven't been able to effectively Google search this issue (or perhaps it's a rare occurrence). I hope I didn't mispost this in the wrong category, but it really impacts my ability to sustain myself so I'll be very grateful for any advice...
    The situation: Right before the AppleCare on this MacBook Pro expired this month, it was taken to Apple for a new logic board, heat sinks and thermal paste refit. All of these changes were made, however it's looking like this machine returned home with its 750GB volume refitted with -- Drumroll -- a 75 GB volume. (Or so Finder would have me believe.)
    I would love to call them and complain even if the Applecare is expired, if possible, however would love advice in how to first determine whether OSX is misleading me or not. Get Info yields the same reading of "75 GB total space with a little over 10GB used up" although sometimes does not even compute a total value.

Thoughts?
    Thank you in advance, all. <3

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Take it back to Apple or reformat and reinstall OSX.

3. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

I'm not even sure anyone makes a 75GB drive. What does disk utility say? I'd guess that they had to reload/repartition the drive and the tech mistyped so leaving you with a 75GB partition - but disk utility will confirm if you have 675GB spare space...

4. marddin macrumors 6502

Definitely check disk utility to verify the full size of your drive. Please report back with your results.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

a screenshot would help. Where exactly are you reading off the 75 GB number? Do all possibilities of checking the capacity report the same number?

As simonsi said, it could be possible that the drive is partitioned... check disk utility.

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Enter the line below into Terminal and post up the output of the command. This will show all disks/volumes and their size.

Code:
    diskutil list