My MBP doesn´t recognise my Mini DV camcorder

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lucianobaitella, Sep 7, 2007.

1. lucianobaitella macrumors newbie

My MBP doesn´t recognise my new Samsung VP-D371 camcorder. What should I do? How can I make the MBP recognise the camera? What I have to isntall? I am a beginner in both Apple and camcorder´s world. The camera didn´t come with any CD or programme to install. No driver, nothing. I bought the IEEE 1394 (Firewire) cable. Which programe would you guys recommend also to tranfer, cut, edit and save the videos in different format for a beginner?

2. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Your camera allows DV to go out but not in. Check your camera manual to allow DV out port. With some cameras, you have to do it.

3. Texas04 macrumors 6502a

Texas04

Could you please give us more details?

There will be no "HELLO! YOUR CAMERA IS CONNECTED" prompt like there is in Windows, just turn on your camera and set it to VCR mode, open up iMovie (should have come with it) and move the slider (in iMovie '06) on the left to the little camera icon. Then be sure to select the name of your camera and you are good to go!

4. lucianobaitella thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answers. As I am in Austria the camera has a PAL video system. I have already tested in a windows PC from a friend and it worked perfectly. There is no way to turn the camera into VCR mode, didn´t find anywhere, maybe it is altomatically done?! When I move the slider to the little camera in iMovie HD program, it comes only my i-sight camera, no other cameras. I also didn´t find any DV in or out to configurate, I guess it is also automatic cause as I have said it worked on a windows PC already. The manual says the camera is compatible with OS from 9.1 until 10.4. Samsumg website has no driver for OS, only windows, very strange. I also called samsung and they told me I should try to find a patch on google from private people, cause they don´t have it for OS. I called also Apple and they said samsung camcorders are not in their list of compatibility, but doesn´t mean that it doesn´t work they said. Maybe I really need the camera´s driver to install, but where from if samsung doesn´t have it. I have no idea what to do!
    Any help would be great, thanks...

5. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

VCR mode is the one when you watch the footage in your camera.

6. lucianobaitella thread starter macrumors newbie

News. Now when I open the iMovie it recognise my DV Camera, it connects and as soon as I ask to import the video, it says camera disconnected or Off. The video start to play in the camera, but it is disconnected on the iMovie program. It imports 1 or 2 seconds, nothing more. What is the problem now?
    Thanks...

7. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

Verify that your Firewire cable is good, by using another one as a test.
    Don't run any programs while capturing, basically don't use your computer.
    Or capture to an external hard drive.

8. LeKiD macrumors regular

LeKiD

I had some problems with camera detection when I connected more than 1 firewire cable. There is something that creates a conflict between multiple use of firewire...it seems... to me. Give it a shot if it's the case. If not, play with the dv in/out of your cam, select the right capture mode... you'll eventually find out... good luck!

9. lucianobaitella thread starter macrumors newbie

It worked again today. It seems that there is really a problem with my cable, today after 100 tries it finally worked again. I will try to buy a new cable today. I will report again as soon as I have the new cable. Thanks guys for the support.

10. lighthouse_man macrumors 6502a

May Ì also add that you should plug your camera to the computer and turn it on BEFORE you launch your editing program.