My MBP got wet, now the screen is playing up, what to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davie18, Dec 30, 2012.

1. davie18 macrumors regular

So I left my laptop in a bag with a bottle, and the bottle leaked.

My MBP was in a case so it didn't get too wet, but I instantly turned it off and dried it out. It didn't seem like any water had got in so I thought it'd be fine, but as a precaution I had a hair dryer on it for about 5-10 minutes just to dry it completely. However, when I turned it on it looked like this:

http://i.imgur.com/zqjSF.jpg

It was only turned on for about 5 seconds then I turned it off again incase it caused any damage. It didn't make any strange sounds though so I suspect the other components may be fine, but I don't know for sure.

So I've left it near a radiator for a few hours to hopefully dry out, but now it looks like this (turned off):

http://i.imgur.com/W9cCl.jpg

It's hard to tell on the photo but it just looks like condensation on the inside of the glass.

What should I do now? I've already booked an appointment for the apple store tomorrow but can anyone tell me now if this is just permanent damage and I'll need a new screen (and if so will it cost with apple care, and how much (in the UK)), or if it can be reversed and what I should do in the meantime to help it.

Thanks.

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You were suppose to leave it turned off for at least a week...
    In a bag of rice could of made it better.

The second photo is a crack? on the screen or is that what it turned out to be?
    If so thats a permanent damage.

The water probably got in the bezel to the scree.

3. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

it's not a crack that's just a reflection.

The condensation is reducing in size though... it's about 70% of the size it was an hour or two ago so hopefully by the morning it'll be mostly gone.

And yeah I would have left it turned on if I thought it had been damaged but like I said I didn't think any had got inside so I thought it would have been fine.

4. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

please can anyone help... i can tell their is moisture beneath the glass panel so how shall i go about getting rid of it?

currently i'm just leaving it next to a radiator is there anything else i can do?

5. LelandT50 macrumors newbie

Stop turning it on. Do you have a dehumidifier? If so put it next to that overnight. Don't turn it back on until you're sure it's dry!

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

7. Chuck-Norris macrumors 6502a

yep time for a new macbook!

8. Ricanlegend macrumors 6502a

Never have liquid near your computer nothing good ever happens

9. rawfuls macrumors newbie

Get it away the hair dryer, get it away from the radiator, get it away from anything that will dry the water.

I repair idevices, and the first thing most people will do, is that exactly.
    They try to dry the water.

By drying the water, you are trapping the water and it's minerals where it's at, inducing corrosion.

What you should have done (and should be doing), is leaving in a large tub of rice and those beads that soak water (often found in shoes, electronics, etc; they explicitly say do not eat, now know what I'm talking about?)

Apple will declare it water damage and not touch if it any of their water markers were set off by the water. (Unless you pay).

If you end up taking it to a local shop, it will likely be a very expensive repair.

My personal experience with the glass on these pro is that the adhesive is VERY tough to break to pull the glass, so we usually replace the entire assembly itself.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

"Precaution" with electronics exposed to liquids involves days of letting the device dry out. Every time you power the device with moisture still in it you risk causing additional damage. At this point, you really don't have much choice then to take it in and see what needs to be replaced.

11. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You cant do much. The fact that you turned it on already, the damage could of got worse.
    All you can do is let it dry, DONT turn it on for a week.

Hardware problems might now show up now, but it can come later.
    Just be prepared and if you have the time, back it up.

I usually open up my MBP and see if there is any liquid if I spilt something.
    Try wiping it off with some cloth.
    Also disconnect the battery cable from the logic.

If it needs repair, be prepared. Your LSI probably been triggered.