Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
so i got it yesterday..everything is perfect..but this little thing when megsafe is plugged i put my wrists on the edge of it to type on the keyboard..i can feel electricity in the sides...its annoying REALLY! when i put my palm i can feel nothing....anyone have the problem aswell

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
do you have it plugged in with the three prong cable? Use that, and I think it will stop. It is a problem because it is not grounded.

The Stig

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
Does it only do it at your house? Have you been somewhere else and it does it?

If it only happens at your house then maybe you have a case of dirty power or something like that.

If it happens everywhere. Call Apple.

The Stig

my other laptop doesnt have the same problem...are you sure its not an issue with all macbook pros?!

klagermkii

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2007
I had this as well, on both a Powerbook G4 and a Santa Rosa MacBook Pro. Having the earthed power cable *might* help, but it's mostly about the wiring of your building. You can either try plugging it into different plugs around your house, otherwise you'll be stuck with finding a new apartment or laptop :eek:

MacBook Pro - only compatible with genuine Apple iFlat's

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
well the macbook is generally more conductive than other plastic laptops.

try putting it on your bed and see if you're getting the shock. I say go to radioshack and buy a voltmeter. Put both ends on the corner that shocks you and see if there if voltage there. If there isnt, youve been drinking too much.

if there is, call :apple: and sue :D

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
I have the same problem sometime. I feel electricity at the edge (the plastic above the superdrive) of my sr mbp. This is strange as plastic shouldn't conduct electricity?! I am using the mbp in Korea now. There are only two holes in electric outlets.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
my other laptop has plastic all around,i tried the 3 outlet and doest work..the shock is exactly beyond the plastic line on the side of the machine..and i cant find a solution..

hajime

macrumors 604
Jul 23, 2007
my other laptop has plastic all around,i tried the 3 outlet and doest work..the shock is exactly beyond the plastic line on the side of the machine..and i cant find a solution..

If this really bothers you, maybe you can wear gloves?

Zel

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2007
Insulation

3M66104.jpg

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
I feel like this is definitely a problem with the electrical outlet you're plugging into. Maybe even the electricity in your region in general. Have you taken the computer to another location and tried? I'd recommend that to see if it's the electricity in your house.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
I feel like this is definitely a problem with the electrical outlet you're plugging into. Maybe even the electricity in your region in general. Have you taken the computer to another location and tried? I'd recommend that to see if it's the electricity in your house.

we have like 4 laptops here and none of them is behaving like my mbp.=\

JHacker

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
East Coast
we have like 4 laptops here and none of them is behaving like my mbp.=\

And none of them are made of an electricity conducting material, such as aluminum. It's not a problem with the machines, but it is made of aluminum, and if your power supply is the problem - you would see it on the MBP.

chriswheat

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Are you touching any other metal when this happens? I really believe that something is not properly grounded...perhaps it's your building. You really should have it looked at. Do you have any surge protectors with a "Fault" or "Ground" light on them? If so, try plugging that into the outlet, if the light indicates that there is a fault (or that there is no ground) that could be the problem. I have to say that I have run in to this problem before but it's only when I'm working at certain positions where my arm is resting on one metal surface and my wrist is resting on the laptop. You really should get a volt meter and check it out.

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
Well I don't know if this is a possible solution to your problem, but...

At first when I got my MBP I thought that I got small shocks too.

But I found out that the small hairs on my wrists got pulled out because of the tiny crack between the aluminium and plastic. It kinda feels like a shock but it isn't.

:cool:

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Try reversing the adapter in the outlet (turn it 180).

The problem is with the grounding at your location. If using the grounded, 3-prong cable that came with the MagSafe Adapter didn't help, you should get the outlet checked or check it yourself using one of the wiring testers you can find at a hardware store (or even a Radio Shack).

The other laptops you're using probably don't have metal skins, or if they do, they might be painted, not anodized (or otherwise non-conductive).

There are a few other threads on this subject which might help, too.

snowmoon

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
Albany, NY
so i got it yesterday..everything is perfect..but this little thing when megsafe is plugged i put my wrists on the edge of it to type on the keyboard..i can feel electricity in the sides...its annoying REALLY! when i put my palm i can feel nothing....anyone have the problem aswell

Are you sure you are getting shocked?

I say this because I have hair pulled out on occasion and it could easily be confused with a shock. Something about the design of that plastic "lip" on the MBP does it.

lexus

macrumors 68000
Mar 26, 2006
Depends Greatly On The Weather

I had this on a PB ages ago it is very annoying.

XheartcoreboyX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 3, 2007
im so sure its not my hair pulled..its a little electrical shock..in a min or something it makes my nervs in my wrist a little bit hard which means its a shock...im not placing my other hand on anything..and my desk is all good material wood..i think i knew''a trick'' not to shock myself..i first place the palm of 1 hand on that lip then rest my wrists and its all okay..

feelthefire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2006
Flip the adapter in the outlet. One orientation is "hot" and can cause the shell to conduct (and ground through you, producing the shock) and one is cold. Theoretically this shouldn't happen with a new electrical device but if your wiring is old it's possible, because the apple adapter doesn't have a polarized plug.

Where is the shock coming from? what area of the computer?

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
soooooo... perhaps you're quite hairy and very fond of wool and generate a bit of stactic whilst wriggling around in your wool jammies and thats where the shocks are coming from?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.