My MBP: Stories of Bad Luck and Expensive Regrets

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mmrbl pismo, Mar 12, 2011.

1. mmrbl pismo, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

mmrbl pismo macrumors newbie

it's the hardest time of the year -- upgrade season. just thought i'd vent as this laptop mocks me, my burning thighs a constant reminder of how dangerous it is to be an Apple fan.

- Mid-April 2009: I, a relatively-broke college student gather enough cash through hardwork and odd jobs and high-interest loans to get a 15 inch Macbook Pro with maxed-out specs. That computer is the 2.66 ghz C2D 5,1. I'm unaware of apple tax at the time, so I foolishly pay out the *** for Apple upgrades for ram (4 GB, highest option at the time) and a 320 gig/7200 rpm. The only screen option is glossy, which I never hate, but would deal with for all the raw power. And plunked down on Applecare, too, to protect my investment.

- May 2009: Didn't have internet for two weeks, so I was late hearing about the upgrade to the Penryn processors. And the triple battery life. And the optional matte screen. I called Apple as soon as I did find out in hopes of a rebate, and a very polite if uncreative Apple rep told me I was literally a week too late to qualify for any sort of exchange or partial refund.

- Spend the summer using the heck out of it, mainly on music and video production and conversion. Snow Leopard is announced, and I'm too afraid to upgrade because it might break things.

- April 2010: I splash a small amount of root beer on my keyboard. No real damage, besides some temporarily sticky keys and the 1/5 backlight death. But, $300 warranty voided.

- August 2010, trackpad stops working. November, CDs refused to ejects. and I'm constantly fight to maintain 15 of free space on my internal hd, and taxing my one source of back up, a 1 tb WD MyBook.

- And now -- I need to upgrade my internal HD capacity, but can't find a reliable drive to hunker down on (around 150 for the drive and enclosure). Definitely need a ram upgrade, another $100 that might just make the bottleneck of the C2D more painful. I've learned to touch-to-tap on the trackpad, but it's made music software too tricky to use. The optical drive I might as well ditch for a SSD to help speed things up, but that's at least another 200.

- So now I save, to by this summer/fall, make my heartbreakingly expensive machine actually feel powerful again. I was supposed to rule the world with this thing, now I can't even watch a (3.5 hr handbrake rip!) of a DVD in one window with Safari and iTunes idle in the background, let alone make my own movies, websites and music without quitting everything and letting my comp cool down. I'm still a high end apple laptop fanboy, and it just hurts my heart and my wallet have been so betrayed by Apple. But it is what it is, and could be worse.

If you read all that, or any of it at all, thank you. If you have similar stories of "paying for the best" only to be dealing with a subpar machine months later, do share. It'll make us all feel better about how many eggs with stuff in out individual baskets.

2. sydenham, Mar 12, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2011

sydenham macrumors regular

Lets see. You didn't have internet for two weeks so thats Apples fault. You were too afraid to install Snow Leopard so thats Apples fault. You spilled Root Beer on your keyboard and as a result ruined your trackpad so thats Apples fault. You filled up 1,320 gig of hard drive space, so we are suppose to feel bad for you. You can't find a reliable drive to upgrade with? Yes thats Apples fault too. Your too cheap to upgrade your ram and guess what I bet you think thats Apples fault as well. Unbelievable.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

OP, what were you thinking when you made this thread? Were you expecting sympathy from us for not having internet, spilling liquid on you mbp, ect ect.

4. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8F190)

You need to fine tune your whining a bit. Too much word salad that basically breaks down into:

1) Spent more than you had to begin with.
    2) Haven't wanted to spend more to update or fix damage wrought by time and root beer.
    3) Want people to say, "you poor dear."

Ok, you poor dear. Hope that helps.

5. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

I think your MBP is the one who feels betrayed...I mean with the root beer and all. :eek:

6. Arthur Young macrumors newbie

You're gonna get flamed. But I'm gonna try to help anyways

Next time don't go top end everything because everything will be obsolete anyways.

1) Install snow leopard, it has a number of upgrades to the OS designed to make things faster not use more cpu.

2) Installing snow leopard will save you a couple gigs of space as well

3) If you really want, get an 128GB SSD, there's even less space so you'll have to trash some stuff but it will make a huge difference.

4) Trash some stuff. especially videos you don't watch and old projects.otherwise you'll have you get another backup HDD

5)do a clean reinstall usually removes stuff you don't realize you needed.

6)4gb if ram is enough for most people, don't need more. More ram does not = more speed always.

7)read "Rich dad, Poor dad" by Robert Kiyosaki so you can get your financial priorities in order kid.

7. eaf7s macrumors regular

+1

Stop whining. You somehow managed to screw up some of the sturdiest and most reliable machines available. You are the most annoying part about that whole post.

8. apd macrumors member

I really don't understand why people bother starting these 'blog' threads - they just waste everyone's time. They're as pointless as the "I love my new MBP" threads. Except they give a far worse impression.

9. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

The 5.1 MacBook Pros have penryn CPUs.
    Last gen non unibody MacBook Pro had penryn too.

10. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

Why is a broke student trying to buy a $1500+ laptop is beyond me. Lol

11. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Financial aid sure makes you FEEL like you have money. =)

Seriously, this is just a case of unachievable expectations coupled with bad decisions and klutziness. You need some time to reevaluate your life and I want my last 4 minutes back from wasting it on this thread.

12. Pentad macrumors 6502a

Pentad

+1

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

plus don't forget 1 more point ... because we are in a helping mood ... Do not put RootBeer near your laptop :cool:

14. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Instead of being all emo you could have read the terms of the AppleCare agreement and realized that you can cancel your contract and receive a prorated refund.

But anyone who spills liquid into a keyboard and then wonders why it doesn't work....just wow bro.

15. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

UNFREAKING BELIEVABLE !!! :eek:

You joined this forum to make that post?

You let your internet lapse. That's Apple's fault.
    You don't install a $10 OSX upgrade. That's Apple's fault.
    You spilled liquids on your keyboard. That's Apple's fault.
    You fill your hard drive. That's Apple's fault.
    You can't find a replacement hard drive. That's Apple's fault.
    You have inadequate ram. That's Apple's fault.

Amazing post, just amazing.

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Do you sleep with your MBP under your pillow too?

I can't believe this thread. OP, you're really asking for it.

17. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Maybe he thought the root beer would help wash down all those seedy roms he was feeding it...

18. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly someone will forego blaming themselves when they can simply say they were "betrayed" by Apple.

While you're at it OP, you might as well blame Apple for the housing crisis, the worst recession in years, Hurrican Katrina, the Japan earthquake, the slaughter of the indians by Columbus and the black plague.

Give me a break!

19. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

Sorry about my stupidity & ignorance.... But what is the real purpose of this thread? :confused:

20. OutSpoken macrumors 6502a

21. old-wiz macrumors G3

There were a few things missing from the rant that I was half-expecting:
    "My girlfriend left me because my MBP is not powerful enough"
    "I lost my scholarship because I spent too much time downloading music and filling the hard drive"

I also thought of at least a dozen more that I don't think the moderators would approve of.

22. brentsg macrumors 68040

23. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Still waiting for the "I couldn't afford to pay the tuition because I had to spend half of that money to pay down the MBP and I gambled the other half in Atlantic City."

24. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Word of advice: To not have "expensive regrets" there are only two things you have to remember. One, if you're on a tight budget do not buy the computer you want, but a computer you need. Two, when buying an expensive machine like that you better be damn sure to take care of it; Macbooks aren't made of adamantium, they will tolerate abuse up to a certain point. Sorry to be so harsh but I agree with others - none of it is Apple's fault, but yours.