My MBP's HD is dead, how do I transfer my stuff from iphone to the new one.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by mario.jr, Jan 22, 2011.

1. mario.jr macrumors member

mario.jr

Hi!
    My Hd is dead and Ive lost everything, no time machine.. nada.
    Any ideas how to transfer all my stuff from iphone ( contacts, music, photos..) to the new itunes?

2. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Sorry but no way possible, unless you're willing to jailbreak and rootkit into your iPhone and copying all the data from it, which is hard enough.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

iTunes will sync the contacts back for you.

If you right-click in your iPhone in iTunes, there should be a "Transfer Purchases" option. That will copy anything you got from the iTunes Store from your iPhone back to your Mac.

You can buy a program called senuti to copy music you didn't buy from the iTunes Store back to your Mac.

iPhoto or Image Capture will pull any photos in your Camera Roll, but I don't know about getting pictures you synced back. I'm sure there's an app for that. Just remember that iTunes downsized them before it copied them, so they won't be the same quality as orig.

Oh, and go spend $75 for an external hdd and setup Time Machinr to automatically back your Mac up so you're never in this spot again!!!

4. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

Also, I believe you can use iPhone Explorer or the iPhone Browser to pull stuff off.

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

iTunes only syncs the contacts if the iPhone has been synced to that library before (which it haven't). When you connect your iPhone to the computer, DO NOT SYNC IT or else all your data will be wiped. Transfer purchases before syncing.
    As for the photos, upload them on Dropbox and retrieve them on your Mac. iTunes only downsizes photos synced TO the iPhone. The photos taken on it are full-quality.

Rootkitting into the iPhone requires jailbreak, so iPhone Explorer or software alike needs your phone jailbroken.

Even if you manage to pull data out of the iPhone, you will still have to set it up again as a new one. The moment you sync that iPhone to the new HDD all data on the iPhone will be wiped and be replaced with the data on the HDD. If you have an empty library and sync it, your iPhone will be empty. Only sync it when you are 100% sure you finished moving all data possible to the HDD.

6. mario.jr thread starter macrumors member

mario.jr

Wow! Thanks for the help!!! :D
    The priority is to save my contacts. Gonna try the methods mentioned above =D
    Thanks again! :D

7. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

From http://www.macroplant.com/iphoneexplorer/

{{Works with or without jailbreaking!

iPhone Explorer hacks into your iPhone so you don't have to break it. We've figured out ways to control the iPhone even better than iTunes, and the best part is, all you need to do is plug any iPhone, iTouch or iPad into the computer.}}

Also, if you don't have one yet, make a gmail account then sync your contacts between your phone and google.

However, the iPhone browser does require jailbreak. But the explorer doesn't (recommended for adding programs to iDOS, in fact)

8. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Senuti will grab all the files off your iPhone. Just search Senuti and download :)

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Last time I checked, Senuti doesn't do non-camera roll pics or anything besides music and videos.

10. aristobrat macrumors G4

FWIW, the only thing that gets wiped when you sync your iOS device to a new computer is iTunes Media (music, video, apps, etc).

Contacts, Calendar, Notes, etc do NOT get wiped. You are given the choice of replacing/merging it.

Attached Files: