My Mid 2007 MacBook just broke, and I need advice on which computer to buy now...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by rhcpfan0, Jan 6, 2009.

1. rhcpfan0 macrumors newbie

The screen on my MacBook has just broken and am considering buying a new MacBook Pro or a MacBook. I am about to graduate high school and gonna start college next year, I will likely major in graphic design. I will be using it for a lot of Photoshop work and other Adobe products. I've also been starting to use Blender for 3-D work. I won't be able to purchase it for atleast 3-4 months and would prefer it to last atleast 2-3 years being able to comfortably run Adobe and Blender.

2. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Is there anything wrong with getting the screen fixed? I imagine it would be much cheaper then buying a new Mac.

3. rhcpfan0 thread starter macrumors newbie

well I've definitely considered it, it would definitely be the cheapest option but the graphics card in it is struggling with what I've wanted it to do i.e. SketchUp, it was quite laggy when I was using it, and I didn't even dare to try out Blender on it (I just use it on the iMac in my school).

4. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

If you had problems with graphics on the regular Macbook, I'd recommend going with the Pro. Obviously you have a bigger screen, but the 9600 in the MBP is quite more powerful than the 9400. If you weren't doing that kind of work I'd recommend the regular Macbook since they are so powerful now. But you could benefit from having a dedicated video card.

5. rhcpfan0 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your advice! I was already leaning towards the Pro (screen size did tend to be a bit of an issue with the MacBook). Now I've got one more question. 2.4 or 2.53? The 2.53 comes with 4GB RAM, bigger HDD, and 512MB dedicated to the graphics card as opposed to 2 GB Ram and just 250MB dedicated to the graphics card on the 2.4

6. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

I agree i think the pro if your going to do any kind of real graphic design, especially with the likes of photoshop and cs4 etc. i would go for the lower end 15" one though if you want to save money.