My Mom is Going Out of the Country. Can She Still Use her iPhone's Internet?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by VideoNewbie, Jan 7, 2012.

1. VideoNewbie macrumors 6502

my mom is going out of the country and i plan on putting her phone line "on hold" with at&t. does any1 have experience doing this?

if the line is on hold can she still use the phone's wifi? does wifi in other countrys work differently than wifi in the united states?

she should still be able to use the phone to do facetime and imessaging right?
    thanks guys

2. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I put my line on hold when I went to Cuba. I was still able to use wifi as long as you can connect to the network. Wifi has nothing to do with cellular data so she should be fine.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

She should be able to use WiFi with no problems. She'll want to turn cellular data off, though, or there will be roaming data charges to pay.

4. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

if the line gets "on hold" I'm pretty sure she won't even be able to roam.. if thats what you want then she can still use local WIFI networks I guess... like an iPod Touch

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

AT&T has temporary international data plans while you travel, but it's not cheap. You should see it on the AT&T app.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It won't matter if the phones line is on hold.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

9. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

This is the first I've heard of putting a phone ON HOLD. Let's say I'll be out of the country for 6 mos. Will this just delay the contract to 2 1/2 years? The reason why I say this is, my aunt goes away for 6 mos. every year, and she continues to pay her iPhone even though she's not using it. She assumed if she's on contract, she can't cancel the 6-month time she's out of the country.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

11. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

So I checked and verified this "ON HOLD" ATT Service to see if Sprint has something similar. Sprint calls it SEASONAL HOLD. Sprint allows you to cut off service up to 6 mos. when traveling international at $8.99/mo. This is great, because I was assured, if I forget to turn off Data and Roaming or Turn ON Airplane mode, it wouldn't matter since Sprint is cutting service completely. I just got off the Phone with Sprint, and they are unlocking my 4S for International Sim use - will take 3 business days. I was advised that I should only use a 128K sim card when purchasing international sim.

As for restrictions, your only allowed to place 4S, in my case, Seasonal Hold for up to 6 mos. Upon returning back to U.S., you must keep 4S in service for 3 mos. before electing to go back to Seasonal Hold. And since I am still under contract, if I elect to place the 4S on Hold for 3 mos., for example, Sprint simply extends my contract for an additional 3 mos. from the time it was originally qualified for an upgrade.

I wish there was a service by Sprint where I can place the 4S on Seasonal Hold as I travel out of the country 2-3 times a month, but I don't think they will do this. This just gives me added security that I won't get accessed roaming charges when I forget to place the 4S on Airplane Mode or forget to turn Data and Roaming OFF in General Settings.

FYI for those didn't know of this service.