My mom wants me to get the 7, i want the 6s.. am i wrong?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Globug, Sep 17, 2016.

1. Globug macrumors 6502

Globug

hey everyone.

So i currently have the iphone 5s and have upgraded to the new ios10. I'm perfectly find with it, but i would like to get the newer features of the 6s or 7. I'll be going back home to nyc this week for a visit (i currently live in Australia) and my mom has offered to buy me an iphone 7. Im not too thrilled with teh lack of headphone jack, as i do need it since i travel alot and I know i can get an adapter for the headphones if i did decide to charge the phone and listen, but i think i would prefer less parts to carry around.

Lack of headphone issue , is there anything else that i would lose of if i were to get the 6s over the 7? I don't really care about the camera. This phone would last me around 3-4 more year (unless the next model is mindblowing). I would be going though ATT as well, so would they unlock the phone for me straight away or would i have to wait? I'll only be in nyc for about 2-3 weeks.

Thanks.

2. freepomme Suspended

You're right! Don't buy the iPhone 7. iOS 10 is a boon for the iPhone 6s.

The iPhone 7 is a clone phone. But less convenient. How can you lose a headphone jack when AirPods are not on sale? Don't do it! Let her save that money!

3. WilliamG macrumors G3

3-4 years? Get the 7. May as well get used to a wireless future NOW, then have to deal with it in 3-4 years time.

4. vishalc macrumors regular

vishalc

I highly suggest you get the 7. Especially if your mom is offering. You'll thank yourself in a couple years. The 7 is the new technology and the headphone jack will be gone from most phones soon enough.

5. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

what are the main differences between the 2 phones? That would make me want the 7 over the 6s? They are basically the same phone, just 1 is missing a headphone jack. Also would AT&T unlock it straight away?

6. mo0620 macrumors regular

The iPhone 7 has the newer processor, so the phone should be able to handle future updates better, also water resistance, stereo speakers and slightly improved battery.

Edit: in order for At&t to unlock the phone, it has to be fully paid off , I would suggest your mom to purchase it either outright from Apple, or under Apple's installment program that's financed by Citizen bank, as those come unlocked

7. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

do they sell the adapters yet to charge and listen at the same time?

8. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

There is not much difference. The biggest improvement, IMO, is one of the least-discussed: the 2 hours extra battery life.

The waterproofing is irrelevant for most people. The new processor may matter in a couple of years, but the a9 is still smoking fast as of now. I guess the new screen is supposed to be better, but some posters here have been unhappy with how warm it is. The haptic home button could be seen as a plus or a minus I guess - personal preference. The 7 (4.7") has a new camera, but not dual (like the 5.5"), so a modest improvement over the 6s (and you said you don't care).

All in all, pretty similar. I'd probably go 7 for the battery life and faster processor (for future updates, doesn't matter for now). But if you need the headphone jack, that could trump other considerations. No wrong answer, IMO.

9. dmx macrumors 6502

If you want it to last 3-4 years get the 7 for sure. You'all be able to deal with the lack of the headphone jack. Yes there are adapters to charge and listen, or use bluetooth, etc.

10. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Thank you. I'm perfectly happy with my 5s for now, but its showing signs of death.

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 603

GrumpyMom

And approximately two hours more battery life. True tone display looks great. Yeah yeah, it's still low res compared to my S7 AMOLED display but I was impressed nonetheless by the color gamut on the iPhone 7 display I saw today.

There is a new kind of home button. Some people hate the feel of it. It's something I got used to in a minute or two. I'm always having to clean crud from hand lotion off of the home button so for me, this new button is great. Your opinion may vary.

Look at my signature. I'm peeved as can be about the removal of the headphone jack. I get even more peeved at people who tell us to get over it and move to the future. I want to b-slap everyone involved in this decision. Arrogant money grub is still my opinion on the whole thing.

But guess what, I actually will get over it. I'll use a freaking adapter. It is a shame you don't care about the camera because it is a decent improvement and the reason I want to upgrade because the smaller iPhone finally got OIS. I get by fine without OIS on my SE but I would prefer to have it if I can get it.

For some reason people are squawking that Iphone 7 sucks compared to Samsung flagship cameras. I have had a Note 7 and now have a S7. The iPhone 7 camera does not suck from what I could see putting the demo unit through some paces today. It's different. In some ways it's not as good and in some ways it's better and so much depends on the circumstances of the picture. Overall in general the Samsung camera is the winner by a modest margin in my opinion. My daughter begs to differ. I think it's subjective in most respects.

People who aren't in the position to upgrade don't need to be upset. But if you're offered a choice between the two, the iPhone 7 seems like a solid upgrade. It also fared really impressively in a You-Tuber's drop tests comparing durability between older iPhone 6s and newer iPhone 7.

12. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

It's been my experience that going with your gut is the right call on personal consumption. If you feel pressured into making one decision or the other, you'll forever resent it when even the slightest thing goes wrong.

Informationally, a lot depends on what you do with your phone. 3-4 is a lot in phone years. If you're counting flying monkeys, the 7 is a nice update. If you're like me and only need a communication device and music player, but don't use it for much gaming then it's less pressure. You're saying your 5s suits you fine, so the 6s will already be a monster step forward. I'm still using a 5 and hoping to get another year out of it (and not because of the headphone jack).

If you go to the Apple store online (the US one, if you can get there), you'll see the purchase options. If you buy through Apple, either by installment or outright, the phone is unlocked. If you got AT&T by installments, it's locked. Since you're taking it back home, I think you want to go through Apple and buy outright as I'm not sure what AT&T will do. I've tried unlocking phones through AT&T in the past and it's been spotty at best-- even when I'm paid off.

Also, not all iPhones are the same-- make sure you get a model that support Australia's LTE network. If I'm reading this right, the AT&T version of the 7 will work in Australia, but the AT&T 6s will not:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

13. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

According to the list provided, only the T-mobile 6s LTE bands will work in Australia and only the ATT and Tmobile LTE bands for the 7 will work.

14. KAMB macrumors 6502

If your using the phone outside of the US your better off paying full price for a Verizon iPhone version as it supports both CDMA and GSM networks.

The AT&T iPhone only supports GSM bands which is looks like carriers your location (Optus, Telstra & Vodafone) will work.

Here is the checker: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-7-iphone-7-plus

15. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

yeah the verizon phone doesn't work in australia

16. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

If you only upgrade every 3-4 years I would wait until next year if possible.

17. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

Current phone is showing signs of death. It might not last that long. If the phone is that orgasmic next year, i can always upgrade again.

18. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I forgot to mention: if you're happy with your 5s, have you thought about a SE? It is basically a 5s with: same processor as the 6s, same camera as the 6s, apple pay, fantastic battery life (waaaay better than a 6s, probably even better than a 7 and just a hair short of the plus models), and a headphone jack.

It doesn't have 3D Touch, and the front facing camera isn't as good, but it is - in my opinion - the absolute best value apple sells right now, not just for iPhones, for anything. I know it's your mom's money, but if you'd like the SE (and you probably would, if you're happy with the 5s), why not save her a few bucks?

19. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

This is really great feedback but if I'm going to upgrade I do want the 3d touch and wouldn't mind the slightly bigger size of the 6s and 7. Those beint the only reasons I wouldn't consider the SE. Although to be fair I was considering it a few months ago.

20. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

If you have the chance to get the latest you get the latest.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

It's personal preference.

That said, I'm very happy with my decision to follow the launch and benefit from reading about others problems with iPhone 7 ... before investing or waisting my time with a model that doesn't offer much new anyway.

I'm appreciating my iPhone 6S Plus more than ever.

22. Mac 128 macrumors 601

Mac 128

Nah, he can go wireless now with the 6s. No need to remove the headphone jack to do it. But if he really wants the full iPhone 7 wireless audio experience with the 6s, he can always get one of these:

Http://appleplugs.com

[​IMG]

23. Globug thread starter macrumors 6502

Globug

hey everyone . i ended up getting the 7 matte black 128gig.

24. noekozz macrumors 6502a

noekozz

Cool, if the opportunity was there, then why not take advantage of it.

Personally I'm holding out until next year. (6+ user)