My Monitor is too good!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Laurencia7, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Laurencia7 macrumors 6502

I build websites, and I am having an issue with my visual pics and images being the wrong color on other monitors than my macbook. They do not match as well in other computers as mine, and it throws off my design.

I have my brightness up as high as it will go, but is there anyway to get it so it is slightly lighter so I can make sure the design fits on everyone's pc?

Otherwise clients without a mac, think my design is mismatched.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

tell them ... their website views better on a Mac. :cool:

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Sit your Mac next to a normal monitor, open System Preferences. Click on the Display prefpane, and click the Color tab.

Now click calibrate and adjust till your monitor matches the other monitor. It will be saved as a profile that you can switch to and from at any time.

4. Laurencia7 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. mrbash macrumors 6502

Have you adjusted the color of your monitor? Most designers use a hardware dongle to color correct their monitor so that they get consistent colors.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

OP, if you seriously want to tackle this issue, you need to be aware of this. It's not a mac vs pc thing, it's a color space / calibration issue. First step, calibrate your monitor. Keep in mind, laptop displays do not calibrate well because there are so many variables involved.

The best assumption to make is to design pages as if everyone views it as sRGB. That's really the best you can do. Unfortunately, not everyone will have a calibrated monitor, but at least most modern browsers are aware of color spaces and will try to output with the correct color space. The general default is sRGB for the web if not color tag is provided in images.

7. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

+1 for Hardware calibration. Having your screen at the brightest it can be is actually one of the worst things.