My moolah went back into my bank account...? I'm confused

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by markthrash, Oct 13, 2011.

1. markthrash macrumors regular

markthrash

So so confused. My iPhone 4S is on its way, already departed from Houston, TX to make its way to the lower part of Texas where I live. I checked out my bank statement today on my phone (gotta love Chase's app) and I was surprised I had as much money as I did in there. My face was like :eek: I thought I was broke! Ha, well, I'm supposed to be $549+ poorer.

I remember the morning I ordered my phone that it was immediately taken from my bank account. So now it doesn't even exist on my statement anymore. The debit where it was taken out does not exist. The credit that it was put back INTO my account does not exist, either. Am I missing something here? Will I not get charged until after my shipment tomorrow afternoon? I thought payments were to be handled prior...? I'm confused as a confused guy can be right now.

:confused:

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I'm sure you have noticed this for other things you buy online. The charge will just be put back on, it's pretty frequent.

3. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

I too am on the same boat. They took out 365 or something along those lines when I placed my order on the 7th. I checked my account balance yesterday and the money I spent on the phone was back in there. No mention of it being taken out or put back in. It was just simply there. I made a thread about this and one of the guys said they put a hold on the money then release it or something for some reason then take it away again. Not sure why this is, but apparently it's normal. I'm sure it'll be gone by tomorrow or later tonight. Just don't spend it :p

4. jjlannoo Suspended

when you buy something a temporary hold for that amount is shown on your account. If the seller doesn't actually take that money the hold is released after a few days. to be sure tho they will take the money. so dont go spending it :)

5. markthrash thread starter macrumors regular

markthrash

Ahh, I see. Actually, I don't order online too much but when I do, I don't notice any non existent transaction, as it at least shows up as a pending transaction. Thanks for the clarification. I just wanted to know due to it being such a big amount. Looks like I'll be broke by tmrw, but all worth it!

So I take it the immediate deduction from last Friday was more of a "we're just letting you know that you did buy the phone, but we won't take your money until next week" type of ordeal?

edit: Ha ha thanks for the heads up. Of course I won't spend! I don't have overdraft coverage! I chose to get my card declined for that type of stuff. But it's okay, that's what my savings is for! ;)

6. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Basically yes. Did you order from Apple.com? I think people that ordered from AT&T/Verizon/Sprint had the money taken out and that was that. Could be wrong though.

7. jjlannoo Suspended

I have the issue with party stores sometimes. It will show as being taken from my available funds right away. then a few days later the money will pop back. then like another week later the money will vanish again and the actual charge will show. its annoying if you dont keep good track of your account. Im def guilty of that.

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I thought it was only a debit card transaction that did pending transactions and then returned it to you? I could be wrong...:eek:

9. jjlannoo Suspended

Yeah for me its always if I run my debit as credit

10. markthrash thread starter macrumors regular

markthrash

Ahh, yes. You're right on the dot. I WAS going to order from AT&T but my plan needed to be changed, and I decided to go with Apple, who let grandfather my unlimited plan yet again. Not that I need that much data, but I like to not be told what to do, cause I'm a rebel like that. :cool:

Thanks for your wisdom. I am now UNconfused. :)

----------

Oh, I just meant credit in terms of Apple returning the money back into my account. If money is going into my bank account, it's considered an incoming credit transaction and it COULD be pending as my bank has shown it quite a few times. Well, at least to me that's how I define a credit transaction.

11. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

No, it's pretty standard for the temporary hold to be released. I ordered from AT&T and mine was released. Same thing happened last year.

12. Foo4Everlong macrumors member

This happened to me as well. They put a temporary hold on me right away, then they put the money back in up until yesterday when they sent me my email saying it was shipped and here's your tracking number. The money was taken out sometime over last night. This sounds typical. I spoke to an Apple rep and she said that they typically don't charge the card until the package is officially shipped. Anyways, I wouldn't worry about it as its happened to many of us as well. Later