My mother-in-law's husband wants a "secure" laptop. What do I tell him?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jc0481, Dec 22, 2014.

1. jc0481 macrumors regular

He wants a secure laptop. He's so tired of the Windows vulnerabilities. I recommend him a Macbook Air. He will only use it for basic usage. Mostly banking and email. He wants to get the Chromebook but I didn't recommend it to him simply because I don't know much about it.

What do you recommend?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

iPad.

Banking and Email. iPad sounds plenty. And secure.

3. mreed911 macrumors member

Chromebook

Chromebook. Good sale at Amazon right now.

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Depends on whether he wants to create content or consume it.

I had an iPad mini and I ended up giving it away to my brother as I was never physically comfortable typing on it, - I found typing to be a nuisance and most uncomfortable and it was also extraordinarily slow loading stuff online. My MBA was a lot more reliable, more comfortable, and frankly, faster.

5. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

Not sure if I would count the Chromebook in the "secure" camp.

-t

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Why not? There are no viruses for it. It auto updates with the latest software. And it's idiot proof.

I got my dad a Chromebook for Father's Day because all he needed was a basic laptop. It does what he needs it to do and I love it because I don't have to maintain it for him or help him with it much.

7. Pharmscott macrumors 6502a

Pharmscott

Will he only use it at home and/or always have WiFi available? If not, a Chromebook is not a good choice.

I also agree with the iPad comment above; and I agree with the MBA idea (depending on budget).

8. grumplekey macrumors newbie

If his primary concern is security, then the chromebook is the best bet (assuming he doesn't want to do much past that).

ChromeOS is based on the linux kernel and compared to OSX, its most likely more secure. Viruses are written by attackers to target the most computers as possible, thats part of the reason why Windows is so "unsecure" because people are constantly trying to penetrate it since most personal computers run windows. Part of the reason why OSX is inherently secure is because less people are trying to break it / break in. ChromeOS has an even lower market share than Mac and therefore hackers would spend the least amount of time trying to penetrate it.