my MP has been repaired 4 times now, demanding a replacement, what should I ask for?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sochet, Jul 27, 2010.

1. sochet macrumors regular

sochet

Hey guys,

I'll try to keep this as brief as I can. My 08 MP has been repaired 3 times (it's gone off for it's fourth today). So far it's had:

1. Superdrive replaced
    2. Front section of logic board replaced
    3. Graphics card replaced (problem is still persisting hence returning for 4th repair FYI it's the problem some people on here are having about waking from sleep)

To make matters worse, I've had to have my MBP fixed twice too!

All I want is a computer that works, to date I've lost nearly the amount of the computer in productivity!

After stamping my feet a bit, Applecare has pretty much agreed to replace my machine. I have a 2.8 octo, I upgraded to a 8800GT at the time, along with the bluetooth and wireless cards.

So my question is my can I reasonably expect from Apple? Can they give me a 4 core machine because mine is older or can I ask for at least an octo? Also has anyone ever gotten anything off Apple as a good will or compensation gesture? (It would really make my day getting a free magic trackpad but I don't want to seem like a freeloader)

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

They'll give you what is equivalent in the current model. So if you get the base model you'll get the new base model, if you get the midrange, you'll get the new midrange, etc.

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

I think you will get the base octo personally :)

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

But also don't go in expecting a replacement, though you can certainly (and politely) demand one using logical reasoning.

Keep in mind though that federal lemon law (certain states may have their own bylaws regarding this) states that a product has to be repaired more than 3 times for the same problem for said product to be deemed a lemon, warranting replacement with a model of equivalent performance. Your Mac Pro has been repaired for three different problems, so Apple still may want to repair it again.

But it has also been my experience that Apple does try really hard to retain its customers, so they might oblige in replacing your unit. Just don't go in fully expecting it to actually happen.

5. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

You should at least get an Octo. To be honest, I'd be pushing for the 2.66GHz model since in a lot of apps your 2.8GHz would outperform the 2.26GHz Nehalem model.

6. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

They have a lemon policy which helped me get a Mac pro of base model at the time.
    I think the problems have to be 4/5 repairs for the same reason. I think I repaired mine about 4 times and was offered an exchange. But I also did happen to do some complaining due to poor customer service with an angry letter to the big man.

7. nanofrog macrumors G4

This argument has been used successfully in the past, but more recent occurrences have been reduced to 2.26GHz models though (base for a base unit). I'd still try it though. :D