Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
AAARGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

actually it's not that bad, it's just enough to be noticeable. the bumper on the right side that is supposed to keep the keys off the LCD doesn't make contact, it's like the top of the enclosure has a warp in it or something.

I love the machine otherwise, but this will have to be fixed or replaced considering the money it cost

I have already spoken to Apple service, and because it was a problem with a new product, they gave me to Apple engineering directly. I sent them some photos, and when I get home in a little while I'll post them.

bjmorgan

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2001
San Diego, CA
Delivery Today

That's too bad. I just got mine today as well, but no problems. What a piece of work this thing is. Now I have a tough choice ahead of me... sell my iMac DV SE or use it as a fileserver at home?

dricci

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2001
Talk to customer relations, they'll send you out a self-return box to let you ship it back and replace it with a brand new one.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
when my iBook arrived, there was some damage to the plastic between back of the screen and the apple - it *almost* looked splintered. The machine was assembled in Taiwan. When i spoke to apple - they offered me my money back or a replacement. Since it took 3 weeks to turn up, i figured i'd just deal with it!

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
wow...a bent lid.

My new 17" AluBook didn't have a bent lid but it did look a bit odd since I'm not used to using a laptop as big as the 17".

Skandranon

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2002
North Carolina
Did someone say 17"?

Originally posted by übergeek
wow...a bent lid.

My new 17" AluBook didn't have a bent lid but it did look a bit odd since I'm not used to using a laptop as big as the 17".

How long ago did you get it shipped to you! I hadn't realized that the Al17 was now available.

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: My new 12" Came With a BENT LID

Originally posted by dabirdwell
AAARGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

actually it's not that bad, it's just enough to be noticeable. the bumper on the right side that is supposed to keep the keys off the LCD doesn't make contact, it's like the top of the enclosure has a warp in it or something.

is this an ibook?

i got mine in december, and noticed the exact same thing just a week ago. barely noticeable, but it's the right side, like yours. about 1/16" gap between the bumper and the machine. left side is fine. i figured i'd just deal w/ it.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: Did someone say 17"?

Originally posted by Skandranon

How long ago did you get it shipped to you! I hadn't realized that the Al17 was now available.
Ummm it didn't ship yet...i just got it from someone. :D

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Check it out...

Attachments

• p2060403.jpg
    p2060403.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 586

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
ahhh i think a lot of people have the same problem with their powerbooks/ibooks.

Okay that second pic really did it...maybe you should call apple for a replacement? it looks like it curves up in one of the corners.

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
Your screen is not bent.

I just looked at my new 12" pb, and it pretty much does the exact same thing, not becuase the screen is "bent", but because of the geometry of the hinge. THe hinge isn't quite as low as the two end points, so, like a very small see-saw, either one side or the other sticks up a bit when it's closed.

But so what? Surely this can't cause you a problem of any sort, can it?

As I said, mine's doing the same thing, but I'd never dream of trying to return it for something so trivial.

wolfywolfbits

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2003
NZ Auckland
Be a man!

Well look how my 12" powerbook arrived from shipping!!!

But no!, you don't see me complaining. As you can see from the picture I have to use pliers and tweezers to type, but I just accept what God, Apple, and the shipping company have given me and soldier on anyway.

Attachments

• pbg4_022.jpg
    pbg4_022.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 447

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Re: Be a man!

Originally posted by wolfywolfbits
Well look how my 12" powerbook arrived from shipping!!!

omg that's horrible! no one should have to deal with a piece of foam stuck to the screen like that! :)

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by wolfywolfbits
What!!!!
It's not supposed to be on the screen!!!

Geez it comes off. Wow that's much better. Thanks!

I had the same problem, I used mine for a week before I reaslised the lit opened...:D :D :D

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
You can always return - even if Apple doesn't want you too

dabirdman -

Yes - for the money, you want it the new powerbook to be perfect. By way of a general consumer tip and not intended as legal advice...

Forget about talking to engineering - sounds like the RUN AROUND, esp. with the photos, etc. - please Apple! Call apple and demand a replacement. You are paying a good deal of money for a notebook that meets your reasonable expectation (closing lids have certainly been represented by apple to be the norm in their advertising). This is a material term of the contract for you, and further is guaranteed by consumer law. What Apple thinks - DOES NOT MATTER.

Further, under the uniform commericial code (often abbreviated as the U.C.C.) versions of which are in force in California and most other states, you have a reasonable period to inspect (often 30 days for consumer goods, some folks try to make it sound like a plus "try it for 30 days... money back" - BUT NOTE, it can be a lot longer period for a defect that is not easily noticed - several months, even) and either accept or reject a product. Your signing for it from the FedEx guy DOES NOT constitute acceptance of the product. If Apple says that you can't get a replacement - you can simply let them know that you view the powerbook as not meeting your expectations and that you're not accepting it.

How this works most of the time is that you'd just call up the company - here Apple (or any retailer you purchased from) - and ask them for instructions (any return number, etc.) and send it back to them for a refund. While you'll likely loose shipping costs, this is a good way to get rid of the flawed machine if they won't simply set up an exchange (for which they might be jerks about and charge you shipping anyway). You can then place a new order with Apple or go to an Apple store. If you end up going to an Apple store - open up the carton and look at the machine, boot it up even (a little insistance can go a long way, esp. with other potential customers looking on). before you sign the credit card receipt or write the check. It's just easier to refuse delivery at that point. [another aside for general use: some companies try to put a disclaimer in - no returns on certain products. These sorts of terms generally never survive a legal challenge, but you'll generally have to take them to or at least threaten small-claims ct. to get relief. Thankfully, this is not what you're dealing with here].

It's a pain in the ..., I know to have to return and place a new order, but I understand that when an expectation is not met - it can drive you crazy - utility aside. Further - we shouldn't be subsidizing apple's manufacturing problems. Apple has a nice OS, but the bottom line is that they're just another company that want to beef-up their retained earnings. They will not assert your rights for you - and likely will try to get you to just keep your current notebook (recall the poor dual G4 folks still begging for a noise fix on their 2002 machines). (Aside: There are other companies who would physically come to your house within 24 hrs. and make the problem right, giving you a stop-gap machine if necesssary. Apple needs to get its act together here).

Small update - I've just read apple's return policy. I like that company a little less everyday. Well, insist that it's a defect - you're right, it is certainly one and demand an exchange or refund. The simply return is hamstrung by a 10% restocking fee. It's not clear that Apple can really do that - although, there are cases out there that allow for a reasonable fee for returns for no reason (that is, when the product conformed to the contract fully, and folks are just taking it back to be nice).

Here, we're not dealing with a simply return on a whim or buyer's remorse. No, rather you've recieved a computer that doesn't meet apple's representations and your expectations, so this is certainly a defect exchange/return. You're still not accepting the product under the U.C.C. and you're still entitled to either a full refund or exchange with no fees.

Any position on Apple's part that they must determine that the product meets their view of defective is still nonsense. You can tell them what the problem is, the problem is not what Apple intended, or you expected. That should be it. The notion that Apple has a veto over your rejection is just nonsense.

JSRockit

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2002
NYC
That is definetely a defect...mine does this very slightly (12"pBook)...basically unnoticable (one millimeter if that)...I'd be pissed.

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
Thanks for the advice, the pic that I originally had up that really showed the bend has been replaced by the current second picture. I should put the other back up, it is actually a bend.

It is not acting like a seesaw with the hinge as the fulcrum, the left bumper always stays in contact while the right is always raised. Even when the right is pressed down, the left does not raise, the lid just forms to its normal shape.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Re: You can always return - even if Apple doesn't want you too

Originally posted by law guy
dabirdman -

Yes - for the money, you want it the new powerbook to be perfect. By way of a general consumer tip and not intended as legal advice...

Forget about talking to engineering - sounds like the RUN AROUND, esp. with the photos, etc. - please Apple! Call apple and demand a replacement. You are paying a good deal of money for a notebook that meets your reasonable expectation (closing lids have certainly been represented by apple to be the norm in their advertising). This is a material term of the contract for you, and further is guaranteed by consumer law. What Apple thinks - DOES NOT MATTER.

I think you're over the top on your advice. It was never said that Apple wouldn't repair/replace the unit.

They want engineering to get the details ASAP to prevent future problems.

I'm sure this guy is going to get his machine fixed or replaced with no problems.

I find Apple's request quite reasonable, and I'm happy to know Apple cares enough to make sure their engineering group finds out about issues like this immediatly..

dabirdwell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 26, 2002
Oklahoma
They were very receptive on the phone, it seemed that the uncertainty was whether they would fix it under Applecare or declare it DOA for replacement.

I don't think it qualifies as DOA at all (although I would like to have a replacement immediately instead of waiting for repair), but I would hate to have an LCD problem later on because of some flexing that the screen underwent during assembly.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Re: Re: You can always return - even if Apple doesn't want you too

Originally posted by Bear

I think you're over the top on your advice. It was never said that Apple wouldn't repair/replace the unit.

They want engineering to get the details ASAP to prevent future problems.

I'm sure this guy is going to get his machine fixed or replaced with no problems.

I find Apple's request quite reasonable, and I'm happy to know Apple cares enough to make sure their engineering group finds out about issues like this immediatly..

Bear - you misunderstand my post, perhaps. It just outlines the possibilities if Apple ISN"T responsive. If they WERE TO just give the run-around without a real fix. I hope that they are going to make this easy on bird and that the computer gets replaced quickly. (It seems to me that they've already been less than responsive as they weren't able to fix the problem in that first phone call or soon thereafter "Box it up, we're sending a new one out!") My note was simply just outlining for bird and others that they can return their machines - even if they don't have apple care or if apple makes it a hassle or if Apple would like to do a repair and they'd like an entirely new machine.

But you're right Bear - I do get worked up when folks get something below par like this bent PB and I worry that they won't get the fix they should as I've seen it happen too many times (not with Apple - the only really disturbing thing there continues to be how the people on the g4noise.com page were treated). I'll try to remain calm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.