My new 15'' cMBP seem to freeze up a lot. Any tests to see if it's defective?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Star Nuts, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Star Nuts macrumors member

Sometimes just trying to open System Preferences will take 5-10 seconds to open. I just had to restart because I started having a bunch of issues. A flash drive I inserted said it only had 4GB left of 64 even though I know it only had 34GB stored. I checked my HDD to see if it was just an error and it wouldn't even show me how much space is being used. Aperture was going very slow. When browsing through pics, it would freeze for a few seconds if I scroll too fast. And then trying to change my desktop background takes two tries. I right click the desktop to 'change desktop background' and nothing happens. I do it again and it pops up. After messing with a few, the desktop froze on a blue screen. I tried restarting and nothing would happen. I opt+cmd+esc and saw itunes froze, which I wasn't even using. I force quit it then restarted. Blue background was still there and took two tries to get it changed.

I'm very disappointed because I upgraded from my 2008 iMac because it was going slow, but it was way faster than this. I'm waiting for my 8GB RAM and SSD to arrive but I'm debating if I should just return this thing.

2. iaymnu macrumors 6502

If you are within 14day period go I would just return and get a new one.

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

What he said.

4. Star Nuts, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

Star Nuts thread starter macrumors member

But is it normal at all? I'm stationed in Germany and it's a hassle to have to drive 1.5 hours to return something that could be normal. Especially since I'd have to reinstall everything again.

5. iaymnu macrumors 6502

You can try to reinstall the OS. If that doesn't fix it then a 1.5 hour drive isn't that much of a hassle. Either way you will need to reinstall everything.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Had mine for 2 months, hasent crashed once. So no, not normal.

7. Braniff747SP macrumors 6502

Braniff747SP

No.

8. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

This may help. Good luck.

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH11342