My new 5S is just sitting here...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sundog925, Oct 16, 2013.

1. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Brand new in the box.
    Just recieved it today.
    I was one of those who was able to upgrade on Verizon with the "glitch" a couple weekends ago.
    Now, I'm not so sure I chose right.
    I've seen what samsungs and htc's are capable of and I'm almost inclined to sell this 5S sealed and buy a GS4 or HTC one or one max.

Thoughts from you android/iOS users? I really want a bigger screen and some other inane features that apples been lacking.

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

Do it, i hear there is plenty of Russian buyers on eBay waiting.

3. yanki01 macrumors 68030

yanki01

we'll if you already want those features, it sounds like you've made up your mind.

what glitch did they have?

4. vegasr macrumors newbie

I sold my S4 to get a 5, then sold it last week for the 5s. Was the best decision I made, and this after loving my S3 for over a year. The 5s just fits/feels so much better in my hand and I really love iOS7 in addition to the camera, Siri, fingerprint reader, FaceTime and the list goes on.

You need to do what you feel is best but I have zero regrets on my 5s

5. Kalvin00 macrumors regular

Do it.

I liked my iP5 but love my GS4. The big screen is so nice when watching movies/videos or browsing, etc..

6. Harmonious Zen macrumors 6502a

I admit to big screen envy when I see Samsung phones. But I would never actually buy one. I'm still amazed at how laggy the S4 is.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

go where you want not where others say you should.
    GL

8. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

If you want another phone, go get it.

It's just a phone. :)

That said, I'm unimpressed by anything Android and not into big phones.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

My HTC One is a fantastic phone. I'm the kind of person who enjoys tweaking the settings and changing ROMs, but I could be perfectly happy with the stock OS and HTC Sense 5.0. And if you don't like Sense, the Google edition is an option as well.

The GS4 is nice too, but I didn't buy one because I dislike TouchWiz and the Google edition wasn't available at the time. It is now, so that would be a good option as well.

----------

It's TouchWiz. The HTC One with the stock OS and Sense 5.0 has minor lag, but the problem disappears almost completely when using the Google Edition variant.

10. KillaMac Suspended

I just traded my s4 for a iPhone 5 again. The lag on that phone was killing me. The iPhone is so refined that I enjoy it more and it works all the time well.

11. Ent macrumors regular

If you go sign Android, go with the Nexus 5 coming out in a couple weeks. It's Google's latest stock, vanilla Android phone.

12. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't understand the constant releases of android. What has been improved on them? Why are different phones pairs with sense and blur and touch wiz? seems so foreign. Just want an htc one running iOS. Is that so much to ask for?

13. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Wait for the Nexus device. The GS4 on VZW have a locked bootloader and hence lack of developer support. I've had phones that developers support and it kicks the butt of what the OEMs are shipping these things with.

14. kis macrumors 65816

Lag on the S4 is definitely an issue - plus I just find it fairly slow overall (browsing large websites etc.). That said, there are many Android phones that are very fast (HTC One, LG G2, Sony Xperia Z1, Note III etc.)

15. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

They've slowed down as of recent so I wouldn't say they're constant anymore. Add the fact OEMS are slow and carriers like to get their mitts on updates and you get a cocktail of slow or non-existent updates happening. But Google are working on this.

Phones using Touchwiz and Sense are the OEMs way of differentiation. You don't get that with iOS because Apple are the only one who produces iOS devices.

There is always the HTC One Google edition which runs almost pure Android.

16. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

What's the benefits of pure android over manufacturers skins? I could probably just go to an android forum but I feel like both apple users and android users know better and can better differentiate.

17. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

Some people prefer pure android compared to Touchwiz or Sense. In the case of the Nexus range, they get the latest updates as soon as Google releases them. But Google edition devices still have a wait.

There may be a speed bonus of a pure android device since it doesn't have a (usually) bulky skin applied on top that uses additional resources.

I have a Nexus 7, I love it. I find Samsung's Touchwiz interface to look very dated and unnecessary. (for example) That's personal preference. You may enjoy Touchwiz or HTCs Sense.

18. apollo1444 macrumors 65816

that's what they promise in every release, lag is still there

19. taedouni macrumors 65816

Honestly I would just keep it. I had an iPhone 5 so this glitch pretty much got me a free upgrade. I received my 5s today and if I paid full price I would've been disappointed but for a free upgrade I'm thrilled.

I've ventured to the other side a few times and I've enjoyed the devices (Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, GN2) , I found myself always coming back to apple. I enjoyed rooting and flashing my android devices but at the end of the day it's all up to third party support and the truth is developers favor iOS users more than android. Not to mention that input lag on those android screens. Trust me, it's noticeable. I noticed it when I went from an iPhone 5 to a GN2.

At the end of the day the phone that I use is a phone. I want it to be able to do all of the things that I would like it to do while on the go. I want it to be comfortable to use when talking on the phone and I want it to be usable with one hand. If I want a massive screen then I'll stick to my HDTV or computer monitor (my 15" MacBook Pro isn't massive).

If I ever have a problem I want to be able to get my device replaced the SAME day. I don't want to ship my phone back to Verizon. I DISLIKE dealing with Verizon. If it weren't for my truly unlimited data I would've left a long time ago.

20. sundog925 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah the unlimited is worth it's weight in gold. Funny thing I noticed on the 2 page receipt that came with my 5S, it said "data package 2gb/$30"

Now in my "my verizon" it still says unlimited. Is this my new data plan now? It said unlimited when I pre ordered. Can anyone else verify who got in during the "glitch"?

Attached Files:

21. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

If my Verizon says Unlimited your ok. Verizon already said they would honor the "glitch."

22. Bako-MacAddict macrumors 68000

Bako-MacAddict

lmao ... I read that thread ... :D

23. emseven macrumors regular

What's painful is the poor resale value when you go to Android and back to iPhone. Your HTC One will feel extremely outdated and you'll still be in contract for a year. You can't cover the ETF because no one will buy your HTC One for over a $100.

24. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I wouldn't say $100 but they definitely lose a little more than half of their value I've found.