My new Airport Extreme Base Station (Gigabit) is a boat anchor!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moof1904, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

I have this friend who had a rather new AEBS gigabit and because she signed up with AT&T an decided to just use their wireless router, she gave me her new AEBS. The problem is, she lost the disk that came with the AEBS. No problem, I thought. I'll just download the Airport Base Station software from Apple.

Wrong.

Apple, for some unfathomable reason, has decided that there's no download of AirPort Utility version 5, the version that's required for the gigabit AEBS. So, this new AEBS is a boat anchor until I can figure out how to forage for the software.

Yippee.

This seems pretty ridiculous. The software is useless to anyone without an AEBS. Just put it online, Apple!

2. jonny macrumors regular

if you are on a mac, you can search for and download an aebs update. then if you right click and show package contents you can pull the admin utility and disk utility out.

I had to do this the other day. Google told me how
    http://homepage.mac.com/james.clay/iblog/B894479528/C2040813928/E20070505184135/index.html

3. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

What version of OS X are you running?

The software you need comes with Leopard. I believe it's also in 10.4.11 and possibly 10.4.10.

4. Moof1904 thread starter macrumors 65816

i was able to resolve this by booting from my leopard drive and accessing the AEBS from Leopard, as the proper airport utility installs with Leopard.

It shouldn't be an Easter Egg hunt to find the software for the new AEBS. Apple should make such utilities easily downloadable.

5. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

They ARE easily downloadable. It just requires you have the install disk version installed first. This is non issue with Leopard. I downloaded a version for my Windows XP machines, which was version 5.2.1 or there abouts.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/airportbasestationupdate2007002formac.html