my NEW awesome 2011 macbook pro 15" s hinge makes a CLICKING noise?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by randomrazr, Apr 4, 2011.

1. randomrazr, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

randomrazr macrumors 65816

got a new 2011 mabook pro 15 earlier this month and a week later i notice the hinge started to make a single clicking, kinda crackling sound when u open it.

is this a cause for concern? the hinge isnt loose and the screen works perfectly fine.

i took it back to best buy and the manager said its my fault that the hinge clicks and that they cant do jack, and blamed me, EVEN THOUGH there is not a SINGLE scratch on the macbook or dent to indicate user abuse. i told him to go to hell and left the store. there is another best buy in town but havent tried it there yet.

i only got this about a month ago :( im worried the hinge might bust or something

heres a vid of the clicking. skip to 0:32 second in the vid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsQF6GzyTr4

i dont have an apple store nearby (3 and a half hours away) and they dont do shipping macbooks to service centers in canada :( all apple could do over the phone was record my issue and hope for the best lol

has anyone had anything like this happen?

THANKYOU

2. applefan289 macrumors 68000

I don't support Best Buy anymore because I'm sick of their low employees and customer service.

But, you also seem to be a typical Best Buy customer, being rude and all.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1
    A better attitude might have brought you more success.

4. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

Just take it to another bestbuy store, I've never had any issues with returns or exchanges when I have my receipt.

5. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do but get it to apple somehow. I had this same thing happen to 13" and it was s worn out hinge. They replaced the entire screen assembly under warranty. Sometimes the screen can become misaligned too which can cause some noise.

Best Buy isn't going to help you much, regardless of your attitude.

6. Blipp, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

Blipp macrumors 6502

I had a very similar issue with my 11" Air that turned out to be a screw that got stuck in the hinge and was jamming things up and scratching the black plastic. I'd say grab a flashlight and look around in the hinge with the screen half open to see if there's anything physically in there.

To clarify this was a brand new MBA out of the box, the screw must have gotten lodged in the hinge at the factory.

7. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

well i did have a postive attitude when i brought it in. that went down hill when he claimed my issue was "stupid" and started to accuse me of creating it.

wouldnt u do the same?

8. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

no i was rude to him when he said my issue was "stupid" and that it was my fault, even though there was no indication of user abuse. the macbook has been flawless other than that clicking

9. JorgeNC macrumors newbie

I think the main issue is that you were past their 14 day return window. It's unfortunate about the snow, but that's they way it is. Sounds like the store could have been more helpful and not blame the issue on you. I would try a couple of things: 1) call best buy customer service 1-888-237-8289, and explain the issues. If it were me, I would NOT say that I came in 1 week past the 14 day period. The store didn't help you out, so there's no record of whether you came in on a specific day or not. You should state that you went into the store and they wouldn't exchange it when there was an obvious issue. Tell them you want it exchanged now, and explain how the store treated you. Don't send the computer to Best Buy if they offer to make repairs.

If none of that works, call Apple and have it fixed instead. The computer has a warranty, and it sucks that you can't get a replacement, but better to have it fixed now

10. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

should i attempt to take it to the second best buy store?

and will calling best buy really do anything do you think?

thanks

11. Eternal 28 macrumors 6502

just take it to another bestbuy store, some stores are strict some are less strict.

12. fred88 macrumors newbie

and you waited days before taking it back in, how could YOU prove that YOU didnt do it, if i was the manager i would do exactly the same thing. you shouldve opened the box and checked beofre leaving. waiting days before going back is your own fault. Deal with it.

13. randomrazr, Jul 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2011

randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

dont need to bash me man, i paid alot for this beast of a computer.

reason why i waited "days" was i had to find a ride into the city which is 35mins away. not super far but i dont have a vehicle so had to wait for someone to have time to take me.

also, there was no sign of user damage, like a dent or huge scratch mark or anything that would indicate the macbook was subjected to user damage

anything positive u could give me?

14. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

I had this problem a couple years ago, took it into Apple store and they put some kind of lubricant on the hinges and it fixed the problem. Also, I think they adjusted the screws on the hinge.

Just forget best buy and take it to apple. BB employees piss me off sometimes, most of them dont know squat. If I am buying something computer related I HATE it when they walk up to me and try to help me.

15. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Haha I have the same problem on my 13' mbp 2011.

Microcenter has a 7 day return policy on laptops....had the laptop for 2 weeks now. Debating on taking it to apple....but I would rather a new laptop, then to fix this new one. Might just sell it and rebuy it lolol

16. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

thats it? it just needed lubrication? sounds simple enough lol

selling it would be losing money on it no? lol

17. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

Things can take time to develop. If you were the manager then that would be unfortunate to have two of you managing stores. There was no need to call the issue stupid if that's what the BB mgr said. If that was the case I think 75% of threads on MR would result in "stupid" issues. A clicking noise is important to some people, and as the consumer that's up to them. Some people including my gf thought it was silly for me to exchange my MBP because of one dead pixel. Anyway, just saying it's taken me days to get back to something that I found out on day one. Things happen in life and maybe the MBP is not always top priority, but it doesn't mean it's not an issue.

18. randomrazr thread starter macrumors 65816

do you think calling apple and speaking to customer relations would do anything?