My new Dual-Band Airport Extreme is making sounds...why?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MadMacxxx, May 15, 2009.

1. MadMacxxx macrumors 6502a

MadMacxxx

So as I was running a few speedtest.net speed tests I noticed that my airport extreme was making a slight sound similar to the ticking noises that some computer's make. It's almost like static. I bought this just a few months ago and have all the settings dailed in so is this normal or defective? Also, it's usually pretty warm...sometimes very warm, like a hot laptop battery.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I have the same router and mine don't makey any noise at all. Yeah they run pretty warm which is normal though.

3. Jezza1685 macrumors newbie

reason

The reason the airport extreme makes a noise is because it is transmitting and receiving at high power. In the past I have also heard the airport card in my MacBook making the same noise. I got a new MacBook pro this year and it had the same noise when browsing the web. Replacing your device Will not fix this as the cards they out in the devices were made this way. My airport extreme makes this noise and I also thought it was a hard drive at first but then thought about why it would make this noise. Only one conclusion...