Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gravityplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
I got my new 12" iBook last night and I love it! :) I've barely had a chance to play with it, and the AE card and router haven't come yet, though.

I've just got one worry/complaint; as I was surfing around the hard drive I had a couple of instances where I'd click on a folder and instead of coming up with its contents, it would come up with a blank window and the HD would just spin and spin and spin, so I'd finally hit the "back" button, and then click the folder again, and it would come up this time instantly. Also, when I was doing "get info" to see the size of various folders, sometimes it would just say "calculating size" for an indefinite amount of time even if the folder was only a few MB in size. I'm worried about this. Is this some kind of OS X bug or have I got a hardware problem? :(

Also I really have to say the 30gig drive is awfully small, as I probably knew. I decided against the cto idea because I figured by the time I add the sales tax from apple I coulda bought a bigger, faster external drive, which is what I'll probably do eventually because the drive CAME with 9 gigs of stuff already on it (much of which is system). Amazing, the old G3 I've been on has only a 6gig drive, which is mostly full, but thats got a ton of software and documents on it. I guess the bigger the drives they make, the bigger they'll make the applications to fill them. "Tony Hawk's Pro Skater", BTW, takes 1.1 gigs. :rolleyes:

realityisterror

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2003
Snellville, GA
cool! if the ibook g4's had come out a few weeks earlier last october, i'd be typing to you from one, but oh well...

i too have had the problem with the get info window not calculating the size... but never folders not loading...

reality

mangis

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2002
Sometimes the factory installed OS is a piece of trash. When I got my G4 iBook, it wouldnt read CDs.

The simple solution was to re-install the OS with a clean install. Many people do so with new Macs, and I will do this every time I get a new Mac from now on. Now is a good time to do it, before you put any more software on it.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
I have a new 12in, and I do not have, nor have i heard of your problem before. Mine has been great from the get-go. Congrats, and enjoy, you won't be disappointed (in the long run) ;) Keep us posted!

kaylee

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2004
Australia
how much ram do you have in your ibook? i have 512 in my new 12 in ibook, and i havent had that kind of delay in opening anything, only the occasional second or less delay (the little rainbow beach ball would pop up for a moment) when i was running on reduced performance on the battery.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
mangis said:
Sometimes the factory installed OS is a piece of trash. When I got my G4 iBook, it wouldnt read CDs.

The simple solution was to re-install the OS with a clean install. Many people do so with new Macs, and I will do this every time I get a new Mac from now on. Now is a good time to do it, before you put any more software on it.

Congrats! I would suggest re-installing the OS as well and see what happens.

- reaper

gravityplan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 26, 2004
Thanks all, for the tips and encouragement. This weekend I'll reformat and reinstall the system, and then put it through the paces to test everything out. It'll be nice bonding time for me and the 'book. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.