My new MacBook Air just arrived today....I LOVE IT ! :-) [UPDATED]

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iPhonePhan, Nov 2, 2008.

1. iPhonePhan macrumors regular

Why would my MacBook Air ship out on Nov. 26? I mean, I ordered it from my job and put the order in like Oct. 20-22nd. I see other people are already receiving theirs. Did I order too 'late'?

Also, the Apple site says the 128GB SSD 1.86Ghz version ships out in 3-5 business days but apparently that's a load of crock. I even went to the Apple store on the 14th St. NYC and they said that I shouldn't go by why it says on the website since that information is only true for the older Revision 1.0.

Is there anything I can do to speed up my order? I have a MacBook Pro that needs work and I can't send it in until I get my MBA.

:mad::(:mad:

2. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

HDD or SSD version? I don't think they've shipped the HDD version's out yet but if you want a SSD, cancel the order and go to the store and buy one. Seems they shipped substantial quantities.

3. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

I gotta check with my local hardware buyer to find out why that is the case. I'll keep you all posted tomorrow.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If it's the hdd version then it looks like I may be getting mine first week of dec if I can wait. I'll be away on vacation then and will just pick one up while I'm away. Fracking apple and their inability to post actual ship dates!

5. FFTWarren macrumors member

Im not positive but I think the baton rouge store had both models. Im not completely certain but they may have. cuz when I told them that I wanted to get one of the new MBAs they asked me which one I wanted. so Idk some stores may have em then again those suckers dont know a whole lot up there about what they actually have. I was just throwing that out there, they may have em.

6. buddhahacker macrumors member

Distributers

I have the same issue with delivery date. When you order through your company's IT organization they in turn order it through a retail channel. That vendor then orders it from one of the handful of distribution companies i.e 3 or 4 companies. My IT has been informed that the distributuion companies will have no product before the middle of November. I assume this ensures that Apple stores will have the product for a few weeks prior to the everyone else so that they create the opportunity to up sell you on all of the other fine trinkets in the store since you have your pocket book open and all.

7. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

To make you feel better. Mine was ordered as a replacement from Apple on 10/15. It has yet to show a delivery date, so I have a broken MBP (3rd one) and no idea when they may get around to shipping this.

Getting kind of irritated to be honest when my order was pushing 3 weeks ago and everyone can just walk in a buy it.

8. Philflow macrumors 65816

Apple does this for the Macbook too. They say "ships in 3 days". What they mean is "maybe next week will send it to you from Shanghai and then maybe the week after you'll get it." Oh yeah, but first we'll take your money :)

Dell does exactly the same thing by the way. Why this is commonly accepted beats me.

9. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

ROFL and its so true1

10. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

***** damnit.... my MBA still is set to dispatch on Nov. 26th. WTF?!?! I mean, c'mon this is unfair.

And btw, I ordered the 1.86 128SSD so the recent news about the delay should not apply to me. What's going on? Anyone have any other info from an actual, knowledgeable Apple rep? :mad:

11. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

The HDD model is definitely delayed b/c of the 7200 RPM drives. The SSD model like yrs were received by people last week. Guess you missed the first batches.

Theres nothing worse than having to wait. But it'll be worth it.

12. tobias-digital macrumors newbie

Just for comparison. I ordered my MBA 2.0 SSD on October 14th a second after the stores were up again and still didn't receive it. Apple did charge my cc though. This is what I call unfair.

13. StefanR. Guest

hello forum, I am new here...

you wait and wait for weeks and then maybe you get a Air with "Thin Horizontal Lines" :D I fear....

14. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

I think the horizontal problem has been identified to a specific build week.

15. StefanR. Guest

hello dogg, where did you read about it? that would be good news,,,

16. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=594520

if you read the last 2 pages you will see the responses from MBA owners. nIt appears to be build week 43.

Hopefully really good news. I am waiting for mine. Should be here tomorrow... My build week is 45 so here is hoping!!!

17. StefanR. Guest

if I read well I read that only two guys have no lines... the rest complains about the faint lines even in week 43.

good luck, tell us about yours, I am also waiting for a new Air.

18. dogg macrumors regular

dogg

Received my new Air today. I have the grey line issue and in addition no 4 finger swipe!!!

19. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

I'M GETTING MY MACBOOK AIR THIS WEEK!!!

Fin-*****-ly! So it left today from Shanghai, China around 3:37am local time and should be in Anchorage Alaska later today. Then it'll cross the lower continental USA, onto to Louisville, Kentucky then Newark, NJ, then the Big Apple, and finally into my sweaty Mac FanBoy hands :)

Can't wait! I'll letcha all know about any issues, i.e. no 4 finger swipe, horizontal lines, etc.

20. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome! It just landed in Anchorage, Alaska.

ANCHORAGE, AK,* US 11/11/2008 8:26 P.M. ARRIVAL SCAN

I'm hoping Palin doesn't try to pwn my laptop like she tried pwning the Vice-Presidency.

I'm also hoping that my laptop will continue shipping out tonight and maybe just come straight to Newark, NJ and then onto NYC so I can get it tomorrow or the day after.

I'M TOO EXCITED. My very first MacBook Air! :D

21. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

Got it! And I am in LOVE with the MacBook Air!

Wow, this was well worth my company getting it for me. I love it sooo much. This is theeeee hottest laptop ever.

More details to come soon :)

22. glitch44 macrumors 65816

congrats iphonphan! look forward to hearing your in depth thoughts...

23. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hey congrats!!

Mine came yesterday, but this is my first day of use!:apple:

24. iPhonePhan thread starter macrumors regular

So I've been using the laptop for a while now and I'm simply in love.

The weight people....the weight.....it's just featherlike and amazing. It is to me what the iPhone is to Candybar phones.
    The Good:
    =-=-=-=-=
    1) Amazing finish and design.
    2) Super sturdy.
    3) Fits beeee-eauuu-ti-fully in the palm of my hand.
    4) Feels just as great in palm of one's hand as it does on one's lap.
    5) The temperature is perfect. Not too hot and no fan noise.
    6) So far she's a champ with video. Example, I was watching full H.264 video and live iChat video conferencing with folks across the pond, without even the faintest stutter of video.
    7) Four finger controls, 'nuff said ;)
    8) LED is gorgeous. Perfect back lighting each time, 2 seconds after opening the top lid.
    9) Backlight rocks :)
    10) Palm rest is cool and perfect for typing, unlike older Mac laptops where the palmrests would get too warm.

The Not-So Good:
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    1) Recharge cycle is like 2h45m for a full charge! WTF?
    2) That one USB port thing is a little annoying, especially with devices like my Sprint Broadband card. Gonna have to bring a spare USB extending cable.

Overall I'm extremely happy. I love this laptop and I see using this computer more often than my old MacBook Pro 1,1. I'm getting my MacBook Pro repaired b/c the screen is going out and the logical board is failing. That MBP is also always getting extremely hot for no reason so my MBA is a pleasure to use.

Love my MBAir. More d33ts to come. If anyone wants any speedtests, lemme know and I'll be glad to be your guinea pig

:)

25. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

great to hear you're loving your MBA!! :D can I ask you what week it is?

thanks