Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
So I had to attach an ethernet cable, because the wifi in my MBP doesn't work well with my wifi accesspoint for downloading large files. I was downloading Delicious library. Then I ran in to find books to scan. But then suddenly i tripped the ethernet cable. MBP falls down from the desk. The screen/lid closes and it just lies there. Still running.

Still running now, but some plastic on the corner got messed up a bit. And theres a slight dent by the new port (that replaced PCMCIA). But the screen/lid closes fine.

SMART status verified in disk utility. Looks like everything works. Impressive. But still a bummer. I have only had it for a few weeks. It was made 8 weeks ago.

I knew it was risky to have that short ethernet cable attached. But I was tired at 2am. Too bad it isn't magnetic like the powersupply. Stupid wifi not working properly... I went the 3com firmware update site a day ago or so, but the updates were .exe files!

Anyway, the MBP is still cool.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
i wish you luck.....

but i feel you will be on borrowed time. im not convinced your drive or HD will hold out after a fall like that....

but i hope im wrong

XP Defector

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2006
I thought our Apple laptops have measures built-in to prevent from HD damage from trips and falls, like the iPods?

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
XP Defector said:
I thought our Apple laptops have measures built-in to prevent from HD damage from trips and falls, like the iPods?

Yes, that's what I was talking about, the "Sudden Motion Sensor".

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
The SMS parks the head when a change in inertia is detected. It makes catastophic head crashes (physically wiping out data) less likely - but the drive mechanism has limits on shock that it'll survive without damage. Who knows, it may keep on trucking but if I were you'd I'd baby it from now on. From what I can see the MBP chassis isn't that rigid and while cosmetically it may survive a fall better than more brittle plastic-skinned laptops, I'm far from convinced it's more durable.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Too bad there isn't a magsafe ethernet connector.

And I hope you didn't have Applecare on that machine, because it is now stamped NULL AND VOID. Either way expect to take an additional 20-30% reduction in value when the time comes for you to resell it :(

Sesshi said:
The SMS parks the head when a change in inertia is detected. It makes catastophic head crashes (physically wiping out data) less likely - but the drive mechanism has limits on shock that it'll survive without damage. Who knows, it may keep on trucking but if I were you'd I'd baby it from now on. From what I can see the MBP chassis isn't that rigid and while cosmetically it may survive a fall better than more brittle plastic-skinned laptops, I'm far from convinced it's more durable.

Brittle skinned?

You can drop one of those elcheapos and the impact will just smack the plastic, wobble off it, and it'd still be right as rain. They are plastic, as in cheap shiny wobbly plastic, not the fancy shiny ones used in Macbooks that'd crack on impact. Likewise for the crown of the PC camp, the Thinkpads will survive that same drop like as well as a M1 Abram will survive a M16 round (hint: not a mark at all).

But when it comes to Jonathan Ive's design? Guess the cleanliness of design is no longer as clean now! Afterall a person who drops one of Jonathan's precious creations is not pure enough to own it right? :rolleyes:

emotion

macrumors 68040
Mar 29, 2004
Manchester, UK
jessica. said:
Maybe someone asked this, but does your homeowners cover this?

My homeowners covers this but only because I pay extra for accidental damage and I've named my powerbook as a specific item that's insured on my policy because of it's value. This is pretty much standard practice in the UK. Might be different in the US.

bennettski

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2006
London
You should be fine, i've dropped my 3 year old powerbook g4 loads over the years. the case has a few dents in it but the one thing that was anoying was the metal casing around the power attachment bent so bad i had to bend and squeeze my power lead head to get it to fit. all still works fine though.::D

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
generik said:
You can drop one of those elcheapos and the impact will just smack the plastic, wobble off it, and it'd still be right as rain. They are plastic, as in cheap shiny wobbly plastic, not the fancy shiny ones used in Macbooks that'd crack on impact. Likewise for the crown of the PC camp, the Thinkpads will survive that same drop like as well as a M1 Abram will survive a M16 round (hint: not a mark at all).

Yeah, after the drop the Thinkpad will do the same thing as before, nothing. I don't understand people who think Thinkpads are the best & greatest. We had 2 of them at the agency where I'm freelancing sometimes. Both had nothing but troubles. Logic board, hard drive, won't turn on, etc. etc. Each of them had to be send in 1-2 times, for about 2 weeks. They may have been good when IBM built them, but since Lenovo does they are not more and maybe even less reliable than any other brand.

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
generik said:
Too bad there isn't a magsafe ethernet connector.

And I hope you didn't have Applecare on that machine, because it is now stamped NULL AND VOID. Either way expect to take an additional 20-30% reduction in value when the time comes for you to resell it :(

Brittle skinned?

But when it comes to Jonathan Ive's design? Guess the cleanliness of design is no longer as clean now! Afterall a person who drops one of Jonathan's precious creations is not pure enough to own it right? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the MB but the iBooks were made out of polycarbonate whch is similar to what is used in bullet proof glass. I had a 14" iBook that got run over (fully run straight over) and there was but the tiniest marks on it. The LCD got shattered but only because the plastic was able to flex but the LCD could not. Pretty amazing stuff. They make them out of polycarbonate because they are designed for edu where they are thrashed. Give some primary schoolers an IBM and watch as the optical drive etc get snapped off. IBM's - even the older one's are tough but they are not that tough (I have one). The only notebooks that I can think of that are really really tough are toughbooks.

EDIT: Also your Apple Care should be fine, just do not tell them you dropped it. You are allowed to have a few knocks on your laptop. If the screen smashed or something you'd be screwed but a small ding will be fine - Just DO NOT tell them.

freebooter

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
Daegu, South Korea
Side Bar:

Funny, I dropped my 60 GB (5G) iPod on the hard floor today after unhooking it (the disc must have still been spinning_)

I picked it up half expecting tragedy. No, it still works fine. There are no visible scuffs even.

extraextra

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2006
California
freebooter said:
Side Bar:

Funny, I dropped my 60 GB (5G) iPod on the hard floor today after unhooking it (the disc must have still been spinning_)

I picked it up half expecting tragedy. No, it still works fine. There are no visible scuffs even.

iPods seem to be able to handle a lot. I dropped mine on the cement, and it came apart where the hold button is, like the front and back seperated. I hammered it back together (lol) and it still works great. You can't even tell it fell.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I always break the little tabs off ethernet cables for this very reason. Doesn't do you much good if you're frequently moving around, but as long as it is sitting still it seems to be fine. It isn't quite as good as mag safe but it has saved me a few times.

Dr_Maybe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
South America
No I don't have Apple Care. It's too expensive. If I got that stuff on all kinds of stuff, it would be cheaper to just save up the money for an emergency.

The one time when I needed a repair on my iBook - a new HDD. I bought and replaced it myself. Cheaper than Applecare - plus I got a bigger HDD.

Thanks for the tip about the little thing on the ethernet cable. I have had a few cables like that. I should mod my ethernet cable like that before I connect it again. And I will definately be a more careful :D Maybe only attach it when the computer is on the floor - then it can't fall ;)

I did drop my old Toshiba Satellite Pro on the floor once. You couldn't tell it had been dropped. It still works today.

eidrunner247

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2006
panoz7 said:
I always break the little tabs off ethernet cables for this very reason. Doesn't do you much good if you're frequently moving around, but as long as it is sitting still it seems to be fine. It isn't quite as good as mag safe but it has saved me a few times.

yeah, i have done the same thing too. i mean, the ethernet cable will still work fine, but it's an added protection against a sudden jerk. and even if i move around, it will usually stay in, but if it did start to come out, who cares, just push it back in :p

fsckminix6

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2006
Chicago (847)
yeah ive dropped my ibook quite a few times and nothing really ahppened to it just a few scratchs and the battery kinda hang a little bit like it hangs down a bit but other than that its been running like a champ, now i do have also have an older ibm thinkpad t30 which ive dropped down a flight of stairs at work, smashed the screen pretty good but otherwise still working. both computer imo are pretty durable.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I had my MacBook Pro sitting on the front seat of my car (I was on the way to the store to get a case for it :p) and a firetruck passed in the intersection and the car in front of my stopped way faster than I thought he would, so I had to slam the breaks on, and my laptop slide of the seat, bounced of the glove compartment, spun around and slammed into the floor underneat the glove box. needless to say, it was broken. The display was totally weird, strange colors and everything. I think I posted here about it, but I don't remember. I didn't tell Apple it happened! :p:p:p

They replaced it. :D

bossass

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
fsckminix6 said:
yeah ive dropped my ibook quite a few times and nothing really ahppened to it just a few scratchs and the battery kinda hang a little bit like it hangs down a bit but other than that its been running like a champ, now i do have also have an older ibm thinkpad t30 which ive dropped down a flight of stairs at work, smashed the screen pretty good but otherwise still working. both computer imo are pretty durable.

ibooks are more durable than powerbooks/mbp's.

They show damage alot less, which is handy when an apple tech is deciding to warranty it or not.

jmsait19

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2004
MO
I dropped my PB G4 about 7 months ago. It was nasty. The lid was open and it made a large dent where the PCI slot is, rendering the PCI slot unusable.

However, I seem to have lucked out and everything still works fine. My logic board is gonna be replaced in the next couple days, but that is unrelated to the drop as it only started having problems recently. (or if it is related i am lucky to have a buddy who is an apple genius =))

Anyways, the moral is, don't get too down on yourself, theres at least a decent chance that the only things that will ever be wrong are the cosmetic marks you now have.

Also, if still under warrany, you have problems, just go to the apple store anyway because the drop doesn't void ALL of your warranty. Known defects and such can still be fixed...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
baxterbrittle said:
I'm not sure about the MB but the iBooks were made out of polycarbonate whch is similar to what is used in bullet proof glass.

So are the MacBooks themselves.

While not as pretty as aluminum or titanium, the polycarbonate in the Macbook and iBook will take more abuse than either metal. The primary reason for the durability of the poly over either metal, is due to the fact that it will not transfer as much shock to the internals as will the metal. The shock absorbing quality of plastic, is one of the main reasons portable makers choose plastic over metal cases, that and cost :) .

Most Thinkpads and other laptops are made from various grades of ABS plastic which can be more brittle than poly.

Apple Computer said:
And since MacBook is sure to become your constant companion, a durable polycarbonate shell keeps it ready for the rough and tumble of everyday life. Now that’s grace under pressure.

http://www.apple.com/macbook/design.html

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I've had un usually good luck with laptops (15 year old one is still working after a fall from a two story building, and being thrown out of a car; no I'm not kidding.)

But with iPods, you might as well forget about it. I had a 4G 20 GB iPod, which I got for Christmas in December 2004. In January, I dropped it from my car, and it has shown the floder or exclamation mark ever since. I would reset it multiple times, but it was a temproary fix. eventually, it stopped working. since then I have had two iPod shuffle's. One was dropped in a lake (Did you know that iPod Shuffle's don't float?:p ) and the one I currently have.

I don't think I'm ever going to get a Hard rive based iPod again.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Sesshi said:

Sesshi is right. The disks stopped spinning during the fall (if they were spinning at all at the time of the fall), but that doesn't mean that
"physical" damage didn't take place.

I'd be careful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.