My New MBP (Look Here if Considering One, or if you're a gamer)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kaeonadai, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Kaeonadai macrumors newbie

So, my powerbook g4 finally died a couple weeks ago. Last wednesday, I bought a 17" Macbook Pro. I knew I could get the new model if a new one came out, and I needed it for school, so I just bought it then. 17", 1920x1200 hi-res, 250gb hdd, 2.4ghz. I received it Monday, and I loved it. I decided I'd call Applecare just to make sure I wouldn't be charged a 10% restocking fee if new ones came out tuesday, and a nice woman assured me I would be taken care of, and there would be no fee. She said she was making an exception, because customized laptops usually have no return policy, but IF a new one come out, then they do.

The next day, the new MBPs came out. They had the 250gb hdd standard, an 8600m gt videocard with 512 mb vram, and a faster processor. Also, my favorite, MULTITOUCH. I called apple as soon as I got home and the man I talked to told me I had to pay a 10% restocking fee. I just told him that I had talked to someone the day before, and he checked the records, and waived the fee. I customized the new MBP with a hi-res display, and it's being shipped today or tomorrow (hopefully). He told me I can continue using the previous MBP until the new one arrives.

Now, about the actual computer: it's fast. Crazy fast. It runs Mac OS X better than any computer I've used before, and it runs Windows faster than any computer I've used before. I've played a few games on it (TF2, Portal, COD4), and they run AMAZINGLY. I can run COD4 (a very graphically challenging game) at native resolution (1920x1200), high texture settings, anti-aliasing 4x, and all the "extras" turned on without a single stutter. It's flawless. TF2 runs the same way, as does Portal. I may be able to get Crysis soon, and I'm thinking it may actually run at full res (I wasn't expecting it to).

In short: It's a great gaming computer, Apple support rocks, and it's worth every penny.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I have the same model you're trading in for a new one (bought it just after they first came out). Best computer I've ever used. Period =]

I like it so much, I'm not even that bothered about it now being out of date, but it's good to hear you got the timing right - enjoy your new Penryn machine when it arrives! =]

3. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Ya i just got a 2.5 yesterday, i havnt been able to install window yet, but i cant wait to play bf2. I wouldnt expect it to play crisis though a 1920x1080 or atleast high settings lol.

I have the 15" by the way.

4. lekun macrumors regular

Do you play COD4 in bootcamp/Windows, or in OS X?

5. Kaeonadai thread starter macrumors newbie

Boot camp. The Mac OS X version isn't coming until May :(

6. steinlager macrumors regular

Do I get the same treatment if I bought mine in November? :p

7. jasonng macrumors newbie

Good to hear, ever since I sold my xbox360 I've been missing the orange box. Can't wait for Spore and Starcraft 2.

Anyways, I've been thinking about buying a MBP (my last mac was a g4 powerbook) as soon as I can (maybe by the summer) and I was worried whether or not Pros can handle graphic heavy games.

8. PenrynMBP macrumors member

dude, i can't wait for Starcraft 2

9. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Will the current 2.5 15" be able to handle Starcraft 2 on high settings? I dont think starcraft is usually graphics demanding but what u think?

10. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

Cool, sounds great. I can't wait to get mine in the mail!

What version of windows are you using for gaming?

11. rsm5068 macrumors regular

speaking of gaming on a mac, does anyone know if Unreal Tournament 2007 (UT3) is ever going to come to the mac?

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Starcraft 2 will probably be pretty crazy/intense (visually). :) The only crappy part about it is it comes out 12/3/08.

But OP, you have made me a happy camper to hear about your MBP review. :) My 2.5 is waiting to be shipped as we speak. I'm figgen excited to start up boot camp and test out some games. Oh God I can't wait.

13. Czechmac macrumors regular

Yes, it will be able to run it really well I'm sure. Mainly because starcraft is very popular game among people who don't have top computers and therefore they would be crazy to make it very resource demanding. I think if you try a game such as the Command and Comquer 3: Tiberium Wars then you should get idea of how well Starcraft 2 is gonna play, because its also a fully 3d strategy game.

14. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

does anyone know if the current 2.5MBP will be able to play starcraft 2 on high settings?

15. EricVT macrumors member

16. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

What evidence is there that SC2 is coming out 12/08?

And as for asking questions about games that haven't come out yet, why do people continue to ask about requirements that don't exist yet? It's around the same as saying, should I wait for the 2010 Apple laptops, will they be good?...oh wait, none of us have any real information.

17. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yeah I'm not so sure about that either, that date is probably just a placeholder. But that's what Gamestop's pre-ordering page says. But if I remember correctly, when Blizzard first intro. Starcraft II they said something like 2009 or later.

Hold on while I bust out my time machine...

18. JWest macrumors 6502

If you've got Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance, I'd love to know how it runs on the new MBP's.

19. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

I second that.
    By the way what does everyone use for operating Windows on Mac? Bootcamp, VMware Fusion or Parallels? What would you recommend and why?
    Bootcamp comes with the Mac correct?
    Thanks!

20. fsckminix6 macrumors regular

i use vmware when im doing lighter things in windows like my math homework. and other stuff for school and bootcamp to game. i suppose i could just use bootcamp. but i all honesty i hate having to reboot my computer to get back into osx. thus vmware.

21. Ryox macrumors 6502a

Ryox

Yup their working on a port. No release date yet but rumored to be early or mid 2008 so soon(ish)

22. Pukey macrumors 6502

Pukey

Thanks fsckminix6. So you have to buy Windows separately correct? Or can I use my OEM copy of XP that my PC is running on my Mac?

23. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Yup along with gears of war, i thought it was coming out this month but it should very very soon.
    Here is the link.
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ArticleID=15395

ChrisN

24. MadDog31 macrumors 6502a

Great...juuuuuuuuuuuust great. I was anxious for my new 2.6-17" H-R to get in.............and after reading the OP's review on how it did w/ TF2, now I'm freakin' ultra excited and now this weekend, next week, and next weekend is going to suck even more waiting for it to get here...haha...

This thread made my day! :)

PS...I'm currently TF2'ing on an HP zv6000...it's a champ for being almost 3 years old, but it's time. It's time for something newer.

:D

25. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong!

The only reason they list the in-stock date as 12/08 is because they have no clue and they have to put something into their computer system.

If you go to the blizzard forums and search for "release date" you will see that the chief designer of sc2 or someone else high up stated that starcraft 2 will NOT be released in 2008, and NOT be ready for the christmas 2008 rush. I'm sorry to give everyone such bad news, but it's coming in 2009. On the brighter side, the zerg page is rumored to be released in March (oh wait, that's in 2 hours :))