My New New iPad 2 Just died on me! Quite unlucky! *

Discussion in 'iPad' started by spinstorm, Apr 2, 2011.

1. spinstorm, Apr 2, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2011

spinstorm macrumors 65816

So last week I bought an iPad 2 from phones4u and it was locked to orange.

My local Apple store amazingly heroically swapped it for a new unlocked iPad 2 and I was enjoying it until tonight.

As some of you may have read in one of the flickering screen threads I mentioned my screen was flickering occasionally but had stopped and I thought nothing of it...

Tonight it starts flickering and turning on and off by itself. I reset it and it started doing it again before turning off and asking to be restored.

I restored it successfully and then it booted - great or so I thought -but an hour later it then decided to go into a boot loop for a good 10 minutes and I couldn't turn it off or on and I was no where near a computer to try another restore.

I then tried to restore again when I got home and I have been getting 1013 errors (which I know can be fixed using a different USB or computer) however there is no point as before I could try again it decided to go into a boot loop again for ages and then I tried one more time on a different mac and it failed again and then boot loop...

When I say boot loop I mean it wouldn't even hit the restore screen - it just flashed the apple logo on and off and on and off. Now its gone back to the restore screen but it clearly needs to be replaced!

I have made a genius appointment but honestly I doubt my chances of walking away with another new iPad 2 due to stock shortages.

Not been a very lucky 7 days for me!

2. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Even if Apple Store don't have one, you could try Phones4u though right?

So you have two chances of getting it replaced :D

3. class77 macrumors 6502a

class77

They have a different stock to replace current defective iPads and another stockpile to sell new iPads. You will walk out with a new iPad2

4. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

hardly the unluckiest guy ever.. so it broke big deal... loads of people have had worse. I had to replace 3 iPads when they originally launched...

They have them in stock for people who need replacements incase of problems...

5. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't go back to phones4u if you blackmailed me!

Lets hope so - I just hope it can be solved quickly as it is frustrating.

The unluckiest guy was the one who had it on the seat of his truck and it went flying out the window and got run over... I still
    wonder what happened with him?

6. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

I agree. A few more people I would consider to have had slightly worse luck of late:
    • The guy in America who decided not to join the lottery syndicate this week, only to go and have them win
    • I heard a couple of people in Japan have had bad luck recently
    • All the CEO's losing their jobs due to Apple's success (just to keep it on topic)

7. ri0ku macrumors 6502a

Yup totally true, iPads arnt the most important thing in life.

8. number84 macrumors 6502

How did OP get a locked version? Don't they all come unlocked?

9. rworne macrumors 6502

Doesn't make sense to me either. Maybe it just came with Orange's SIM card.

10. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Orange UK is locking the iPad for use only with Orange and T-Mobile SIM cards.

There is a business sense for this activity when they sell subsidised iPads for use on their network, but the downside is they are also locking unsubsidised iPads as well. Seems the lock occurs during the initial iTunes sync and is based on the SIM used rather than IMEI number.

Some people have had luck getting them unlocked via Orange directly, or even getting replacements through Apple. Others not had so much luck.

11. Karnivore macrumors 6502

Karnivore

Just the same as iPhone here in US. You can buy them unsubsidized all day long and they'll still be locked to AT&T :(

12. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Really?

13. phluid13 macrumors member

phluid13

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

Maybe it was something you said?

Queue up "I just died in your arms tonight.."

14. spinstorm thread starter macrumors 65816

It gets locked by orange at point of sales so iTunes then checks the IMEI and locks it. I never even put the orange sim in.

I payed full unsubsidised price for the iPad and I didn't even buy it from orange. I bought it from a reseller but they locked it to orange.

Apple swapped it for an unlocked iPad for me in store. I was very lucky.

It is good that orange are now unlocking iPads for those that are stuck with them after paying full price.

Apple gave me a new iPad today to sort out my problem so I'm sorted. I love customer service at Apple. Amazing.

15. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

That's wrong. AT&T does not lock any iPads, which is why all the AT&T models were being sold overseas.

16. MacBpro macrumors member

"BRAND NEW" iPad 2

Helped my friend to get another ipad 2 from apple store. The staff told me there is only one left - 64GB WIFI but the seal was broken. He let me see the packing and everything was there including the protective wrap on the ipad. I called my friend and let him know the situation and he said ok beuause it was for personal use.

Got it and send to my friend. Once he opened, and tried to activate the ipad. :eek: He found out the iPad2 was activated and has been customized!!!

even though we can erase all the data and customize it again, but if it is open box, the staff better to let the customer know. My friend though I did the activation for him ... :mad:

17. shandyman Suspended

he said the iphones are locked on AT&T... not iPads