My niece's graduation gift

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by bruinsrme, Jun 2, 2011.

1. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Her gift sill be in the form of a check.

What is the going rate for a high school graduation gift?

Thanks

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm...why is this in the PRSI?

I'd say $50 though.

3. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

Just walked in from a long 13 hour shift and I am drifting in and out trying to watch the game I missed while my parrot is yelling at me because she likes her eggs scrambled not hard boiled.

$50? Damn I was thinking on the lines of $200.

4. iStudentUK, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011

iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Well I'll tailor my response to the forum we are in...

What the hell kind of offensive/racist/biased question is this? Do you know how many nieces never get to graduate at all due to politics/discrimination/republicans/global warming and you are worrying about how much to spend?! This is typical of you rich/religious/right-wing/conservative people! I mean really, there are children/animals/trees that need your help.

EDIT- I should probably say that $200 is fine, but less will still be ok. $100 would do I'd say. Depends on how generous you want to be! If she graduates from Harvard in the future then that probably deserves more!

5. Chundles, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2011

Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You don't graduate from High School. You matriculate.

You graduate from university.

This is obviously yet another attempt by the left-wing nut jobs hand-in-hand with the right wing loonies to make everyone feel special. Oh? Finished 2nd grade? Here's a graduation ceremony for you, have a cap and gown. Finished 3rd grade? Another cap and gown.

It's not graduating unless you're getting some letters at the end of your name.

Something something gay agenda something something jesus.

So, to answer your question. If you're a "favourite" uncle, $200, if you're a "cool" but not "favourite" uncle $100. If you're getting a handshake and an awkward kiss of the cheek hello rather than a big hug $50.

If she forgot your name, hey, go buy yourself something nice with your money.

6. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

In accordance with most of her generation, I'm sure she'll feel it is more than you actually end up giving her.

7. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

This is acutally a good question as my Neice graduates in a week and I need to get her a gift. In a perfect world I could hand her a box containing a MacBook, but since I don't live in that world, and for sure I am considered the "cool & favorite uncle" I will be going with the $200.

8. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Think about what she'd want to buy, calculate the cost, divide it by two (half should be from the parents), then divide it by the number uncles and aunts she has. Take into account a margin of error and stinginess.

Give her 100% of it if her GPA is equivalent to an A, 80% to a B, 60% to a C. I'll stop there.

Inspired by the US Tax Code.

9. bruinsrme thread starter macrumors 601

bruinsrme

$200 looks to be the answer.

Thanks everyone.

Btw great responses, :cool:

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- how times have changed. $200? Are you serious? Wow- can you be my uncle? I'll go back to school and graduate all over again. ;)

11. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Set up a savings account for her and tell her to always put about 5 or 10% of whatever money she earns during college. She'll thank you later.

12. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I think people here are being overly generous, when I graduated 2 years ago I think the average amount was closer to $50 with a couple people giving $100. I don't think anyone gave $200.

13. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

Face it guys......anyone who gives a parrot hard boiled eggs instead of scrambled should probably be expected to be overly generous to a niece

Maybe $400 would make up for the snafu with the eggs? :p

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You could give what my uncles and aunts gave me ... nuttin'.

And that's the same thing i gave my nieces and nephews.

A hug, however, is always nice.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

See- that's what I thought. I think $50 is plenty as well.

16. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Turns out the OP was right to put this in PRSI. Looks like a big argument is brewing... :D

17. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

Personally, I am against the culture of gift giving that we have established in today's society. I cannot stand when there is an event or occasion that socially requires one to give a gift.

18. Internal Fury macrumors 6502

19. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I graduated from high school 5 years ago--I think most of my cash gifts fell between $25 and $250, though I got $500 from the owner of my mom's company. :)

20. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

When I graduated from high school 3 years ago my uncle payed for the chicken to be BBQed.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Excellence should be rewarded.

If she did well, give as much as you want.

If she was lacklustre, $50 sounds good to me.

My Sister's kids, or their kids, got nothing, but I did pay for the MCAT prep for one deserving grand-niece.

I heard moans and groans about "treating them all equally", but piss on that. I don't believe it that crap, when effort is involved..

22. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

The only thing I ever got from my uncles were late night visits to my bedroom :(

Yes, they'd hate my ukulele practice that I'd do at 1AM regularly every night and would come upstairs to tell me to turn off the "awful racket".

Sigh... mammaries

23. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

If I get invited to a friends son or daughters graduation party I give $40 or $50. But for FAMILY, a niece or nephew?? Gotta start at $100 and add on to that based on "coolness" and "friends" factor.

My nephew I hardly know who lives in another state I've meet 3 or 4 times got $100. The niece that lives 5 minutes away, that I watched grow, gets $200 minimum.

24. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I guess if you've got it to give, go ahead.

25. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

There shouldn't be a set dollar figure for each relation you have (what, are nieces worth $200, cousins $100 and distant $25??).

I think you should give according to your means and based on how well you know the person. If she doesn't bother to ever talk to you, then I think she probably isn't as close to you as other family members. On the other hand if she does get along with you and you know her well, then obviously the scale tips the other way.

Since you bothered asking, I'm going to guess you don't know her well at all...